Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why are all my invertebrate dying?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why are all my invertebrate dying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a 2 feet tank that to this day seems to be a jinx to all invertebrates. I just recently washed alll the aquaclay in the tank, used a new canister filter, change the plants and pretty much started the tank all over again. Yet, I still am having alot shrimp death. About 50 cherries, 1 wood shrimp and a nerite have gone down the drain.

My water change include 1/3 water change, i add about a cap of Seachem prime, aquamedi blackwater essense and a cap of seachem excel. I do not dose any fert as I have only spider moss, bolbitis, lace java fern and wusserstang, all undemanding plant. I do have about 50 boraras in my tank, but I do not ever see them disturbing my shrimps.

Anyone have any answer?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have problems keeping shrimps alive in my tank too. Put any kind of shrimps in and after a few days they will sure be dead even though i had acclimatised them properly.

Its until i added in a few pieces of bamboo charcoal then new shrimps that i've added survived and have thrived since. You may choose to use activated carbon too.

Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, I think i will try it too, how about those sold at daiso?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yep, got mine in daiso. just remember to follow the instructions on the box before throwing it into your tank. ie: wash the charcoal bamboo throroughly, boil for about 10mins, then put out to sun.

Place in your aquarium. Choose an area where water movement is substantial. Thats my opinion by the way. haha

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    I have a 2 feet tank that to this day seems to be a jinx to all invertebrates. I just recently washed alll the aquaclay in the tank, used a new canister filter, change the plants and pretty much started the tank all over again. Yet, I still am having alot shrimp death. About 50 cherries, 1 wood shrimp and a nerite have gone down the drain.

My water change include 1/3 water change, i add about a cap of Seachem prime, aquamedi blackwater essense and a cap of seachem excel. I do not dose any fert as I have only spider moss, bolbitis, lace java fern and wusserstang, all undemanding plant. I do have about 50 boraras in my tank, but I do not ever see them disturbing my shrimps.

Anyone have any answer?
    Do you acclimatise the shrimps properly when you first introduce them into the tank?

Furthermore its always best to cycle the tank for at least 2weeks or more before introduction of shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did all those, even used bacteria solution and seachem prime to set the water condition.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My Shrimps love the new Daiso Bamboo Charcoal "accommodation" or should I say it's the "love hotel".

I cut them in small pieces and stacked them in a small pyramid style...oops I did not boil them or sun them...shucks! next time then...the charcoal in the tank for months liao.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    when do you usually start to replace them? thanks.

(Edit: Please kindly refrain from using SMS abbreviations, thanks!)
    Last edited by Quixotic; 16th Aug 2008 at 00:27. Reason: SMS lingo: 'u'

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i had a similar experience recently. about 90% of my 70 odd cherries and malayans and two out of four amanos died overnight. probably something to do with the water.

I suspect it is either an ammonia spike or a large hornwort plant that i added to the tank the night before. my tank is not aerated and the spike in co2 due to the plant may have contributed the disaster.

in any case, while these shrimps look pretty hardly, a drastic, even if small change in water parameters can have serious consequences for them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

I am a bubble lover, all my tanks have bubble diffuser and the fishes or shrimps love it.

It also reduced the risk of lack of oxygen when the lights are out...and the heavily planted tanks starts to suck oxygen and give out Carbon Dioxide.

I ever see my fishes on water level when my lights went out without the bubble....they are gasping for air or something. When the bubble diffuser starts...they sink down and starts to swim around.