Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Leaves of my plant turning blue?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Leaves of my plant turning blue?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The leaves of my plant is turning blue..
    What is actually happen?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what plat is that, never see blue aquatic plant before. Is it covered by blue green algae?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    seems like dying off...
    it is stargrass
    Last edited by davescube; 25th Aug 2008 at 23:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    wow... nice.... but it looks like dead leave to me...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah look like dead leaves
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    You use bleach with the plant?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's adapting to the new environment. I recently bought this plant too. Ya most of the leaves melted on me (turning transparent and blue, whatever), but I did not remove anything. Slowly it is picking up again. New shoots are coming. Not sure if it was pH change, or any other things.

Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro, my reply in BLUE below:
    Quote Originally Posted by davescube View Post
    seems like dying off...
    it is stargrass
    Not sure if I'd mentioned to you that night when I passed you the plants - You'll need to remove those leaves that are melting (black or blue in colour) before you plant them into your tank... But even after you'd removed all before you plant them in, you'll still expect to find some more leaves melting... So long as the roots of the plants are still healthy & available & there are still new leaves growing, it'll be no problem planting them...

Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    It's adapting to the new environment. I recently bought this plant too. Ya most of the leaves melted on me (turning transparent and blue, whatever), but I did not remove anything. Slowly it is picking up again. New shoots are coming. Not sure if it was pH change, or any other things.
    Christophe
    I'd the same experience as bro AquaObsession when I first bought the pots of Stargrass from LFS & planted in my tank... Saw many leaves turning bluish/ blackish as you mentioned. Was so sad that I thought of just giving it up & plucking these plants out of my 1-feet cube tank... Luckily I did not, as over the next few weeks, the plants started to produce new green leaves with roots reaching downwards into the substrate & it just kept growing taller over the days... [Until it grew so tall that it basically covered my entire 1-feet cube tank til it's like a forest... ] Hence, I stongly believe that this is an adaptation period of the plant to the water parameters in your tank [Even when I transferred a few stalks of this Stargrass to another tank of mine, I faced the same problems as quite impossible to have exactly the same water parameters in 2 tanks...] Leave the plants in the tank for a few more days & observe for signs like new leaves growing & roots dropping down to reach the substrate & ignore the melting leaves... [If not, just get a pincer/ tweezer to pluck out those melted ugly leaves... For me, my Ramshorns help me to take care of it... ]

Hope the above info helps... Cheers!!
    Last edited by beetlejuice403; 11th Aug 2008 at 18:03. Reason: Prevent confusion of reply...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, I notice they are growing rather fast now although most of the melted part is of older leaves..
    And the other plant that you passed it to me is shooting up now, new branches is growing rapidly..

I think I have also noticed either pond snail or freshwater limpet in the tank.. not sure whether I should do something to them..
    Maybe they will help me abit with the cycle process..

I also want to know whether I can add plant fert before cycling is completed.