Images
    Country
    Singapore

mini lobster sighted!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was looking at Bioplast's 5 ft tanks yesterday. Because there is a large population of flatworms inside the guppy tank, Ah Tan placed some large shelled market tiger prawn inside to bait them. the flat worms will swarm around the prawn meat, digging holes into the flesh and burrowing through the meat, feasting like maggots on a corpse. Ah Tan will then take out the prawn with all the worms for disposal.

The prawns also attract the tank's immense population of shrimps. It's probably a self-sustaining shrimp heaven now, with so much moss and woody hiding places. Several generations of the small taiwan shrimp, yamatos, malayans, ghost, and probably cherrys rule the roost, their busy claws and beady little eyes peeping from every square inch of moss.

There's also one i haven't seen before. It's larger than a yamato, about 2 inches, but much more heavily built. It's orangey in colour and the carapace is much like a lobster or crawfish, but the claws are proportionately much smaller, though still perceptibe. Definitely not an algae eater. Ah Tan doesn't know how it got in there, probably a stray ridder with the other shrimp. Very interesting!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    "the flat worms will swarm around the prawn meat, digging holes into the flesh and burrowing through the meat, feasting like maggots on a corpse."

This sound like the infestation I had 3 months ago. Those Flat worms are actually Planktons if i am not wrong. And they never really go away. It just keep coming and is eeeeerily.

They hate SALT.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From what i have read in the forums and other places. it is a very good idea to maintain at least some salt level continuously in fresh water tanks. very beneficial to the tank indeed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    flatworms = planaria
    not plankton

why would anyone use salt in freshwater aquaria? other than 1. treating diseases 2. accomodating brackish fish 3. reducing nitrite poisoning
    why would it be a very good idea and be beneficial? please enlighten [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ops ... yes .. Planaria. so forgetful ...[]

AQLink
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    doesnt it serve as a prevetive measure for the fishes? anyway it does not harm the plants and fishes , so why not?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/20/2002 5:40:11 PM

flatworms = planaria
    not plankton

why would anyone use salt in freshwater aquaria? other than 1. treating diseases 2. accomodating brackish fish 3. reducing nitrite poisoning
    why would it be a very good idea and be beneficial? please enlighten [:]
    ----------------
    Ahhhh... number 3 explains why arowana keepers regularly put salt in their tanks.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/21/2002 12:59:57 AM

doesnt it serve as a prevetive measure for the fishes? anyway it does not harm the plants and fishes , so why not?
    ----------------
    preventive? prevents what? nothing good water conditions won't prevent already []
    i wouldn't be so sure that long term effects of salt on plants is negligible
    for fish, definitely, there will be some stress
    if our idea of a planted tank is to give the fish a more natural environment in order to give them a more stress free life, adding salt isn't really a need
    as for why not . . .
    why yes? the less things you add to your tank, the less chance for something to go FUBAR

don't take this the wrong way
    i'm a big advocate of salt, but only at the right time
    the rest of the time, we don't need it

of course, if anyone can dig out something to show that salt at low levels is beneficial, i'd be the first one to use it []