Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Sighting request: Where to find cheaper Betta splendens "Plakat"?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sighting request: Where to find cheaper Betta splendens "Plakat"?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any good LFS where I can get a pair of Betta splendens "Plakat" at lower cost?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 12th Aug 2008 at 01:36. Reason: Split posts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    normally they are sold at $1 each (fighter style), which i think is already cheap
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Johannes,

As I'm not familiar with betta, have to use layman terms, sorry about the poor description :P

Those $1 - $5 tends to have very long flowing fins and tails, while I'm keen on those that smaller (less than 5cm) with short fin HM, many come with platinum or black with red/blue. Hope I'm not confusing you in the description I saw some on the internet that have amazing colours, yet small in size.

I've actually posted the same qns in another section, which the moderator has helped split in order to get better responds.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...664#post361664

I've read about imbellis, rubra, albi which are small (short solid fin), colourful and some sites say can be kept in pair without problem? Even in community tanks? Wow! However, their pricing is way out for me to experiment.

So I've still not nailed down on a betta type and need advice. As I'm looking at maybe 1 -2 months later to get the betta, I thought it would be good to check with the bros here for more information and advice so that I can do more read up before jumping in and killing any fish due to inappropriate care.

If keeping small betta in pairs inside nano with boraras is not possible, perhaps I'll give up the idea and look for other colourful type like non annual killi.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    all these fishes are under the genus Betta, there are Betta chanoides, Betta rubra, Betta imbellis, Betta splendens, Betta xx etc....

the original splendens are hard to come by as many of the colourful ones are no longer pure splendens...(these are aka show betta) they are most of the time kept singly..
    whereby other bettas (wild betta) can be kept in planted tank better in a community etc

so i am not sure what are you looking for...

as you mentioned earlier you are looking for splendens and the closest they you can get are the fighters lo, short fin, look kinda wild but definitely no no in a planted tank (they dont like current and low temp as well).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the quick reply So splendens are out of question... is there any type of betta wild or F1 that can be kept in pairs (single feels too lonely) peacefully with boraras in nano setup?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    smaller mouthbrooders or coccina complex bubblenester as they are small so they wont eat or attack your boraras.

of course price vary... if u keen on betta coccina, nice red bubblenester,
    C328 has @ $1.50each, better go fast later people sapu... they are in the tank below the snail

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Johannes, for sharing I'm still baby sitting leopard cory frys and the nana setup will not be ready at least the next 1 - 2 months sigh....

$1.50 is really drop dead cheap... very tempting... but sigh cannot take them until tank is ready. Coccina can live in pairs?

Do they sell in pairs? Heard that LFS don't normally sell females? In the coccina family, are Betta burdigala easy to find in LFS and cost wise?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think Betta coccina is hard to sex.

if you want a confirmed pair, i recommend Betta channoides as a good and peaceful species of wild bettas that is easy to care for. However, they do tend to be slightly on the pricier side as far as aquarium fish go (though still generally cheap for wild bettas)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Illumnae,

Betta channoides are beautiful as well; but size reach 8cm - 12cm would be a problem in nano setup I guess? Hmm... easily 20 times more than coccina in price for a pair?

Will be tough to get me started and going as I'll be hunting for used nano cube with soil in 1 - 2mths time so would prefer lower start up cost... Thanks for the recommendation, channoides are really eye catching drooling liow...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    channoides max at 5 cm... nice but more costly
    if u can see coccina, those with shorter anal fins, less extended are female