Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    the description "pro-body" truly means "used by professionals" and this does not always mean it has the most features such as megapixel. it means it is designed with the professional photographers and their unique requirements in mind, eg weather seal, super tough body, build-in grip (for battery capacity and weather protection), super sensitive AF sensors, etc etc.

so the latest 40D maybe more "capable" than an old 1D but a professional photographer may still chose the old 1D pro body due to the other features.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually 5D is not considered a pro body, in canon parlance only the 1-series are pro.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was told by freelance friend to invest money on the lens insetad of the body. is that true? Does the 1000D for example able to take same quality of photo as 40D with the same lens?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this is a statement many of us repeated umpteen times. however having said that, you cannot expect a 1000D to perform the same as a 40D as an overall package and in all circumstances. just as an L lens vs a normal lens, under many situation the normal lens will perform adequately, but under some difficult conditions only higher end bodies and L lenses can deliver. so buy the body that you like to use and serves your need adequately and that's it.

consider my 20D body, I bought it second hand and I still feel it performs more than adequately for the shots I do. on the other hand I have not hesitated to acquire the necessary L lenses I needed eg 50/1.2L because the other lenses simply will not deliver under the situation I use them in. each of these lenses easily cost more than the 20D body.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I was told by freelance friend to invest money on the lens insetad of the body. is that true? Does the 1000D for example able to take same quality of photo as 40D with the same lens?
    Perspective will be the same with different cameras (assuming crop factor is constant).

In financial terms, the lens will usually depreciate much less than the body. My 2002 Canon D60 is now worth less than 10% of the purchase price. The 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM purchased at S$1080 can still be sold for about S$600 despite the price adjustment and exchange rate losses. So that's only a 40% loss. Based on today's purchase price, it's only a 25% loss

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 22nd Aug 2008 at 11:07.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Robert,
    I think your friend is wrong. You should invest in good lens AND good body.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you are evil

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah like I was advised by many evil doers some time back, don't bother flipping through all the lens/cam catalog. Just turn to the last couple of pages, buy the best you can afford and be done with it! hahaha
    Seriously, think carefully what kind of photography you intend to do, and buy the best your budget can allow. It's actually very expensive to buy low, get itchy, then sell and upgrade again and again. I did that and regretted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If you buy the latest, you will probably regret less as the next model would come out much later. If you buy the 2nd latest, you will be wondering what if.

Either way you're damned if you do or don't.

I think the new D90 is worthwhile looking at. D300 sensor in a more affordable body. Good enough to last you quite awhile and seriously nifty video recording feature. Not out yet though. I think I'm getting one to back up my trusty brick-the D200. D700 is a bit out of reach at the moment.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ask yourself what you want from a DSLR, these days you can find almost anything except as a mobile phone device on the DLSR . While lenses play an equal part in photography, the functions and limit of a DSLR body should not be ignored.

I agree with stan, get the current latest model unless you just want to try photography and don't really know whether or not you going to invest both time and money on it in the future then getting a older model is feasible.

Indeed Nikon now controls the entry level range, but the mid aka semi pro and Pro bodies is still uncertain. The learning curve for Nikon D3 is higher than the Canon's 1D series (quoted from a photographer with both DSLR), perhaps Wasabi888 can give you comments on how long he took to get used to his D3 and now thinking of selling it off for a lighter, less complicated semi pro range

When I'm out catching butterflies, I will hear fellow photographers from the Nikon and Sony camps on how they would have to adjust their flash, exposure compensation & etc. I told them for canon, I simply switch on my DSLR, point and shoot

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    perhaps Wasabi888 can give you comments on how long he took to get used to his D3 and now thinking of selling it off for a lighter, less complicated semi pro range
    religious faecal material!!!

When I'm out catching butterflies, I will hear fellow photographers from the Nikon and Sony camps on how they would have to adjust their flash, exposure compensation & etc. I told them for canon, I simply switch on my DSLR, point and shoot
    but I thought N-brand's "ETTL" is much more consistent and better?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think D3 is too much camera for newbie but if money is no object and you want bragging rights...[will look a little foolish]

But if you're familiar with Nikon controls, it's much easier to adapt.

I have no idea how to navigate a Canon. A Nikon makes so much more sense since I started on Fm2, F80 now D200.
    In the end the only important dails you need to know is controlling exposure and focussing. The rest are just enhancements you will pick up along the way.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good and cheap DSLR for beginners?
    I know nuts about photography but I want to invest in a good DSLR (don't talk about those pro bodies) to shoot my fishes.
    I have many small fishes so it'll be better if the DSLR is good in macro shots (I know I have to invest in lens for this).
    I'm looking at Nikon's D40X and D60.

Any recommendations, suggestions please?

SuD

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you know nuts about photography then you need to learn it. buying equipment will not overcome your lack of knowledge, particularly in the area of small fish macro.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    if you know nuts about photography then you need to learn it. buying equipment will not overcome your lack of knowledge, particularly in the area of small fish macro.
    Yeah, I'm slowly learning bit by bit..
    I guess it'll be some time before I get one...

SuD

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd suggest you get one and learn the basics before attempting small fish macro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    religious faecal material!!!

but I thought N-brand's "ETTL" is much more consistent and better?
    Metering on the Nikon is always better, however unlike the Canon flash system, you need to adjust for a better controlled exposure

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I believe no matter which camera brand you use, adjustment or not is just a personal taste. That's just depends on how you want the shot to turn out. I'm sure if you pass me a Canon, or any other brand for that matter, I'll still be doing the same thing - which is shooting 20 frames on a subject with different flash compensation, exposure compensation, placement of lighting, etc. It doesn't mean the camera system is not good, it's just the way we shoot. Just like how I almost never shoot macro with my flash mounted on the camera anymore but some people never dismount their flash when they shoot macro. Which is a better camera system? Beats me.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    How about olympus brand? Any recommendation? Good and reliable cameras... Normally how much do we have to fork out for something like that?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Back in the film days, this statement would have been true.
    Then, a camera is just a black box and the lens and film played the more important part.

But now, for DSLR, the sensor ("film") is built into the camera body. So a higher end camera would be better.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast