Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Actually, I still believe the quality of the lenses will at the end of the day determine the result. However, it will not make a bad photographer good or a bad photograph good. The differences in the series of bodies is in the ergonomics, functional features, the sensor and the chipset.

At the end of the day, the determinant of a good photograph lies within the photographer's knowledge of his tools (camera and lenses)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Buy the best you can afford, shoot the heck out of it and then never read another review for a year at least or you'll be coveting the latest soon after you bought yours.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    Back in the film days, this statement would have been true.
    Then, a camera is just a black box and the lens and film played the more important part.

But now, for DSLR, the sensor ("film") is built into the camera body. So a higher end camera would be better.
    How much high end have to go? $500 enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Actually, I still believe the quality of the lenses will at the end of the day determine the result. However, it will not make a bad photographer good or a bad photograph good. The differences in the series of bodies is in the ergonomics, functional features, the sensor and the chipset.

At the end of the day, the determinant of a good photograph lies within the photographer's knowledge of his tools (camera and lenses)
    Heheee i like that..

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Buy the best you can afford, shoot the heck out of it and then never read another review for a year at least or you'll be coveting the latest soon after you bought yours.
    Hahahaaa will do that too.. maximum i can afford then just keep learn with it, the functions everything...

But bros... Hmm $500 enough? DSLR i think more than that right?
    Sorry budget limits if not sure buy anytime.. Haiz i still got to save that amount first...
    Thought maybe you guys got intro for olympus's camera... Just found this link.. http://asia.cnet.com/readerschoice/2.../best_dslr.htm
    But it's 2005/06 about 2 years back..
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's a tad low. If you plan to shoot fishes, off camera flash is desirable if not prerequisite. That alone could set you back $500+.

I suspect you need around $2000. Camera+Kit lens+flash+cable+tripod. Bear in mind, for this amount you are getting very basic stuff. The 2nd hand market may be able to offer you some good deals with the new cameras announced recently. A lot of people may be upgrading based on the OOO and WAAAH comments.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    $500?? I just spend close to $2K for upgrades recently and it includes neither a camera body nor lens.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what lens did you bought this time? lucky I manage to stay away from this hobby
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    No lens. No body also.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tripod loh hahaha.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Good investment. RRS? Gitzo? Manfrotto or some other designer brand that works? Flash system as well? SB900? Do tell. :P

My friend bought a Gitzo recently and spent RM2K+ because of his shaky old tripod. Shot fireworks and using a remote release did not help as his tripod shook every time the mirror slapped up. The pictures appeared fuzzy despite weighting the tripod with a bag. This is because of the 1-40+ second exposures as well, black card and all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Gitzo tripod, markins head, wimberly flash bracket, extra flash (SB600). No biggie.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm using a Gitzo with kangrinpoche NB-2A ball head, did a 2/1/2 hours open shutter leaving the tripod out in the cold. Nothing happen.

I think Benny got quite a complete range of tripods & ballhead. He should be the man to share with us all of the insights! Can still remember his gitzo tripod with his name engrave on it. So much for customization!

Cheers!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yeah, heard about kangrinpoche NB-2A. Quite good reviews for it too. Heard that in terms of stability it's about on par with the Markins M-10. Anyway, as long as it works, it's good.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    is that really necessary? is the new tripot and head improve your photo quality?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If you have to ask, you have not reached the stage of the different types of photography.

A good tripod and ball head is essential for slow shutter speeds and not to mention speedy framing. It's also great for HDR-[high dynamic range] shots where you shoot at least two shots locked off at different exposures in RAW to combine them to maximize dynamic range.

A tripod is also great for waiting. Waiting for the subject like animals to perform.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yup, I guess Stan's first sentence sums it up. If you have to ask ...

Anyway, just want to add, it is also good for stacking. For me it is essential, that's why I upgrade. My previous Manfrotto setup is not bad, but with the extra load I put it, it creeps under certain conditions. But I guess that setup is good enough for most other users.

See, never go shooting when I ask you to, that's why you don't know about this.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    make me wonder what is your current set up look a like
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    That's a tad low. If you plan to shoot fishes, off camera flash is desirable if not prerequisite. That alone could set you back $500+.

I suspect you need around $2000. Camera+Kit lens+flash+cable+tripod. Bear in mind, for this amount you are getting very basic stuff. The 2nd hand market may be able to offer you some good deals with the new cameras announced recently. A lot of people may be upgrading based on the OOO and WAAAH comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    $500?? I just spend close to $2K for upgrades recently and it includes neither a camera body nor lens.
    Haha Think i can use the $500 to buy fishes instead and invite you guys with great knowlege of photography come my house take pics???
    Anyone helpful enough?
    Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no, spend your $500 on fishes and loan it to us to photograph. your tank at home are likely to not be conducive for photography
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think your fishes have to be exotic enough for Choy to take out his 'L' series...

500 should be ok...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast