Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    au contraire, the fishes I like best are those colourless ones from longkangs that nobody even knew are there
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    no, spend your $500 on fishes and loan it to us to photograph. your tank at home are likely to not be conducive for photography
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    I think your fishes have to be exotic enough for Choy to take out his 'L' series...

500 should be ok...
    How exotic??? Hahaaa not a bad idea... How about apistos? I think $500 can buy a very decent pair..

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    au contraire, the fishes I like best are those colourless ones from longkangs that nobody even knew are there
    Maybe we can arrange for a outing together go catch some longkangs fish? Last time when i was small always ride my bmx go catch tadpoles and blood sucking bugs... Now spend $4 for 30mins let my daughter catch guppies at farmway, safer this way... Hahaa but end up all the guppies caught there all very short lifespan
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmmm .... go catch bugs?? Cool, I'll bring my camera and shoot the bugs.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks to everyone for helping out. It's homework time for me...
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    Hmmm .... go catch bugs?? Cool, I'll bring my camera and shoot the bugs.
    I bring camera and shoot luenny shoot the bugs
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    Thanks to everyone for helping out. It's homework time for me...
    so have you decided which one?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    so have you decided which one?
    How I wish I can buy what I have in mind like what I used to do 20 years ago . Now, I own a "little Ferrari" at home. Need to start spending wisely.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planning to get my first DSLR

Hi all. I was looking at Canon D600, D60 & Nikon D5100 for my first DSLR. I did a bit of reading on the reviews, it seems like Canon is more ergonomic & easier to handle, whereas Nikon's color is more natural & have better quality Lens. I've had a Canon S90 & was pretty comfortable with it. Should I stick with Canon?
    I plan to spend 2k for it. Should I go for better body & upgrade the lens later or get a lower range body but with better lens?
    I've read on some forums & they recommend getting higher range older generation Nikon body (D90) to save on the cost to get better lens. Is there anyplace in Singapore that sells older generation model Nikon cameras at a lower price?
    Last edited by RHX; 13th Feb 2012 at 22:27. Reason: Add model number

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

First off, how ergonomic a camera is, will all depend on individual. I suggest you go to a camera shop and try them out for you.
    I do not know where you read that Nikon as better quality lenses, but let me assure you that canon is equally the same quality as a Nikon.
    Both brands have their own top of the line lenses, Nikon with their trinity lenses and Canon has its own L series. You probably wouldn't go near these lenses at this stage.

One thing I know from many years of photography is, technology on camera bodies is ever changing but not lenses. Hence, get a reasonable body to start with and a proper lens to go with it.
    I have changed 3 bodies and still use the same lenses I have. Whether to spurge on lenses will depends on (1) How deep your pocket (2) How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go

DSLR are so common these days, kids, teenages, adults, elderly are seen using them. But is it really what you need?

Ask yourself, do I need a DSLR, if yes, why so? can a prosumer camera do the same? For some people, a DSLR will produce the best image, (true or false)
    With the abundant of choices available these days, it is hard to determine which camera will suit your needs.

1) DSLR, (crop factor or Full frame)
    Pros: allows you the flexibility and choice of different focal length, different effect filters, dedicated lenses.
    Cons: Weight, cost

2) The P&S (Point and Shoot) commonly known as the consumer digital camera
    Pros: Economical, light
    Cons: Limitation

3) The Prosumer (a level higher than the P&S)
    Pros: more control than a P&S, slightly bulky
    Cons: More expensive than your P&S, you can buy a entry-level DSLR

4) Prosumer with interchangeable lens
    Pros: Lighter than a DSLR
    Cons: No idea

My suggestion to you (if you still choose to get a DSLR) is get either a entry level or semi pro camera body (latest, not unless you grow out of it fast and will upgrade) Growing out means hitting the limit of the camera. Not getting tired of the looks

Do you travel? have you thought of lugging along a DSLR? I go for annual trips and bring along a body with at least 2 lenses, flash, battery grip & etc. Apart from it, I also have a prosumer camera for those handy shots that I want to snap if my DSLR is not in ready.

If you see yourself exploring into the world of photography, by all means go for a DSLR. Otherwise, stick to a prosumer camera. Will save you alot of trouble and money.
    Photography is a bottomless pit. The further you go, the more you will buy. Alot of people I met do not understand it until they get a DSLR. Then you hear they rant about how expensive good lenses are and when you buy one thing, you probably upgrade your existing stuff as well .

I shall not debate your choice of brands, I'm a Canon user. I think whichever brand you choose (Nikon or Canon) it is your photograph that does the talking.

Best place to get a older model? go to clubsnap and buy a 2nd hand camera. Shops wouldn't sell you a older model cheap because there is a newer model.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi RHX

I did ask Simon for the advice of getting new DSLR camera. I thought of Sony A70 but he against Sony, and I took his advice ...I got new Canon 60D with 200mm lens last Dec.

Wow love it loves it...the Canon 60D.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice, I'll go their showroom to try them out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I suggest you go to places like Cathay photo at penisular or marine square, TKphoto or John 3:16 at Funan center to try out the brands and cameras of your choice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How about those mirror less DSLR like Sony Alpha NEX-5? Anyone using it? If not mistaken Sony is the only one that using APS-C sensor the rest of the competitor is using smaller sensor. I'm itchy to get one but lens still limited though
    -Robert

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234