Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Melafix

Feedback Score

Melafix

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just realised that it is on sale in singapore.

Petmart was one place i saw.

was looking quite hard for it some time ago.

so thinking perhaps can share this info

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it actually smells quite nice
    i thought of using it in place massage oils

your tank will smell like herbs for a while after using it
    my fish don't seem to like it tho
    i haven't had cause to use it ever since

Well, from my experiences with melafix, it doesn't seem to be any good.
    Doesn't work as a finrot treatment, not too sure if it works as a preventive medicine also.

So far, the only thing it seems to be helpful in is removing the fishy smell from the tanks...
    Sometimes I do add it because I have the large bottle and it'll be wasted if not used. A betta breeder has told me that it helps in the tail's recovery after damage. It's important for bettas and other long finned fishes.

DEA, maybe you've overdosed. I know that fishes look half dead if overdosed with melafix. I'm not too sure if the instructions on the box are accurate, but I suppose even the dosage might be fish dependent. Some fish can tolerate more and some fish tolerate less of it

Feedback Score
    this is strictly FYI

some months ago i was searching high and low for it too. and from another forum, melafix was recommendated highly. i went to a number of lfs but none carried it anymore, and was told by one lfs that it was b/c melafix didnt pass some test and was considered highly toxic for humans too.

thats the story then. im was very surprised that lsz and i saw it at petmart lastweek too. but we still got it cos thousands of pple less singaporeans cant be wrong.

so to use melafix is subjective. but for those memebers who have used it b4, do share the experiences.

vican, thks for the comment []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    I have used Melafix b4. I felt it was very good in treating what it stated on the box. I used to have fin rot with guppies and the teatree extract seemed to be doing its job pretty well. It even treated my ranchu's open wound who was a victim of vicious guppies . Usually heals after a week.... assuming healthy fish. I also use it sometimes as a preventive measure esp when I see distressed fish in my tank. Treatment for this is recommended as per dosage stated and continue unitl fin is fully recovered. The medication does have a calming effect on my fishies so I jus continue until I truly convinced that the fish is fully healed and acive again.

I must warn that it may froth and foam the water initially, but the froth should go away after a couple of days and is perfectly normal. It smells good too (loosely resembles the smell of listerine).... but that subjective from person to person.

The interesting abt this product is its safe for PT since its an extract from the teatree.... sometimes naturally found near freshwater ponds..... However, as with any type of medication, if the fish is severly stressed out or drawing its last breath, this medication is not a miracle.

It actually comes in 2 types of concentrations. The ones sold commonly is concentrations for tanks and less common is the ones for ponds. IMHO, pond concentrations are more economical......but I've not seen it here in s'pore yet. Let me know if u ever come across the ones meant for ponds.

Good luck and may it solve your woes.

Feedback Score
    hmmmmmmmmmmm ........... jag

are u the same jag/supra from other forum???
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    nope..... sorry.... been using this name years ago....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    have you tried using the concentrated tea tree solution that you can buy from the pharmacies? heh.

I once overdosed and killed a pearl gourami.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 1/18/2002 2:28:43 PM
    have you tried using the concentrated tea tree solution that you can buy from the pharmacies? heh.
    I once overdosed and killed a pearl gourami.
    ----------------
    wah!!! thanks so much for ur 'advice'loupgarou [:0] u like to experiment on ur fish heh?!?!? u r a

me

[]
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

jag,
    glad to hear that it worked for you.

I work with bettas, so all my comments are related to bettas, other fishes' results may vary
    Melafix is recommended in the USA by betta breeders.
    At a point, lots of local breeders in Singapore were hunting high and low for it. When it first hit the shelves, lots of betta breeders bought it to try.
    Most of them have found that it doesn't treat betta finrots. A big time local hobbyist did mention that adding it speeds up recovery and thus minimise damage to the fins of his bettas.

I, myself, think that melafix does have some anti-bacterial and healing properties. But it's not strong enough to treat serious finrots on bettas.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    vic
    since when have i overdosed?
    ^ ^

DEA,
    Don't be so sensitive lah.
    I'm saying maybe the package insert recommends that dosage for larger fish. Maybe your fish have less tolerance of it and don't like it even if you had dosed the tank correctly.

I know that an over dose of melafix can kill though. Some betta hobbyists had to find that out the hard way...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sensitive? no man ^ ^
    my fish took it perfectly well
    juz not very happy with it
    the discus turned dark

I have used Melafix for cloudy eye in my betta, and it worked really well! Used it for one treatment of seven days. Also it healed up some fin ends that were damaged from poor conditions at the LFS. I have read that there is some question about it's anti-bacterial claims, and saw some research to prove against such claims...

IMO, it does not have any 'recommendable' anti-bacterial properties, but I would definately use it on mild fungal problems, fin repair, and treatment of injuries.
    L.