Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp catching in Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anyone been shrimp catching in Singapore? any reservoir? maybe Kranji Reservoir?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very dangerous lah, but you can try Seletar area, near the camp area if you want.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    shrimp? do you mean miniature shrimp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup. some new specie maybe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha very funny

Shrimps are ikan bilis. Maybe they shall be call prawns. The area is Jalan Kayu camp to be more specific. SOme up to 7cm long and very long arms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Haha very funny

Shrimps are ikan bilis. Maybe they shall be call prawns. The area is Jalan Kayu camp to be more specific. SOme up to 7cm long and very long arms.

sorry but i thought ikan bilis are silver fish?
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh It just a comparison. I think the guy wants to catch big shrimp for makan.

Who would think there are new unknown species of shrimps in SIngapore except the common ghost shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try lower pierce reservoir. I used to go there to catch fresh water lobsters. Just use a bread tie on a stick to lure them out from the rocks and then use the net to catch them from belind. There are small shrimps and fishes as well. I also saw this uncle catching snakehead with just hook and strings.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    please only fish in areas that are designated for fishing. also do not take native fishes, however introduced fishes such as luo han, rays, siamese tigers etc are welcomed to be removed.

also shrimps are important members of the eco system and they are easily harmed by degraded water quality, do not take them.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Want makan shrimps $8 per kilo in wet market and save all the hassle and danger. Accidents happen.
    want miniature shrimp also $8 but only one. (nice sulawesi)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    please only fish in areas that are designated for fishing. also do not take native fishes, however introduced fishes such as luo han, rays, siamese tigers etc are welcomed to be removed.

also shrimps are important members of the eco system and they are easily harmed by degraded water quality, do not take them.

Lower Pearce Reserviour had a designated area for fishing... but only artificial lures are allowed. But then some follows the rule, most do not!

Saw some kids using the bread and stick method to catch crayfish (not shrimp) between the stone gaps by the water edge... generally harmless fun as long as they do not venture into deeper waters.

The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The current rules at designated sites like Lower Pierce allow for angling with artificial lures, which makes sense as organic and live bait pose contamination issues for reservoir water. My own view is that netting (but not baiting) small fish/crayfish/shrimp at the fishing zone could be allowed (strictly speaking it isn't at all at the moment, and if you are unlucky some patrols from NParks or PUB will slap a fine or warning on you.). It's certainly better than driving people to fish/net in more secluded areas, and most of the species caught are likely to be invasives.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, this is a really lively forum.
    I actually went this morning. spent about half hour before it started to storm. I was at Yishun. caught a baby ghost shrimp (prawn?) hehehe
    Anyone knows what other species are around in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The last time I went to Ho Chi Minh. There is a big pond that is connected via a small canal to the river near the hotel where I stayed and every morning I saw kids there catching shrimps and fishing.

One incident touched me :
    One early morning I heard a loud yell and saw a boy caught a big catfish and he hurriedly ran to his mother with the fish. From the look I can tell that his mother is really very happy.

Later I found out that in Vietnam, a lot of people are still not doing well and some rely on catching river fishes to supplement thier meager diet.
    Last edited by Orion; 30th Aug 2008 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I caught some dwarf shrimp before and they are very prolific, I have no idea what their exact species are though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    I caught some dwarf shrimp before and they are very prolific, I have no idea what their exact species are though.
    Are the shrimps colourful?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how blessed we are in Singapore that sometimes we forget to be thankful. 1 little shrimp we have can probably buy a meal for a family in other countries.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    any left? got photos?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by natureAddict View Post
    how blessed we are in Singapore that sometimes we forget to be thankful. 1 little shrimp we have can probably buy a meal for a family in other countries.
    Ya. 1 little sulawesi shrimp can be their 2 days wage.

After seeing how some of our 'local made' pampered children in the shopping mall - self-centered, individualistic soft jellies, I wonder what our society will become in 20 years time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp catching in Singapore

sry for bumping an old thread.

am looking to catch some wild shrimp. All these place that you guys mentioned, are they still available? Anyone knows of any legal place to catch them as of now?
    Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast