Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ID of moss (revisit)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After much discussion on the id of the moss, I would like to share some pics of the moss that I have

PIC A, is this the common java moss?

PIC B, this is the xmas moss that I have.

PIC C, this is how the xmass moss look in my tank.

PIC D, the moss that I got from Petmart, can tell that it is different from xmas moss, I believe it could be the taiwan moss pple are referring to.

PIC E, this is how the 'taiwan moss' look in my tank.

Comments?
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jacian,

I have a page on my website at "http://www.killies.com/Killieplants.htm" showing the 4 different mosses I have in my tanks. Besides the Java, Christmas and Taiwan moss, I also have a picture of the Bukit Timah moss.

Your first picture is definitely the Java Moss. Your Christmas Moss looks like mine except that your leaves are short and stubbly while mine are long and slim. The triangular shapes of both our Christmas moss are pretty obvious. That's the only difference, as far as I can tell, between the Christmas and Taiwan Moss. If you examine the small "leaflets" on the moss, they look exactly the same.

I suspect sometimes that the Christmas and Taiwan moss are actually one and the same plant. If you look at just one frond, it's almost impossible to tell them apart. Only when you have a fairly big bunch, does the difference become obvious.

A couple of weeks ago, there was an article in the Straits Times about a professor in our university who's a moss expert. Seems like he goes all over the world collecting and catalogueing mosses. I would have sent him the mosses for positive identification if I had not been so busy at that time. If anyone knows his name and how I can contact him, please let me know.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    taiwan and christmas isn't the same. just compare NA's tanks with GenX's tanks.

the xmasy shape is obvious. I've got a 5cm frond. i think that's big enough.. heh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the question abt whether xmas and taiwan moss is the same thing has been debated many times in APD, I think Timebomb knows it.. since he is the one that came up with the name 'christmas moss'