Images
    Country
    Singapore

Algae behind moss wall

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Will algae form behind moss wall after a period of time??? How to prevent? Leave gap for oto to move in to eat??

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... don't think so if the gap between your moss wall & the glass is very small as very little light will be able to gain access to that area... If you intend to leave a gap for you otos to enter to clean up any algae, make sure the gap of the space should not be too small/ cramp & do give allowances for any other bigger sized fishes (livestocks) that may get stuck in between the moss wall & the glass [Previously 'lost' one of my zebra danio, search everywhere for its corpse but can't find, later found it stuck in between my moss wall & the glass... Luckily found it in time, if not, most probably it'll up-lorry one...

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    DIY moss wall fixture using magnets or suction cups method better? The magnets need to coat with Aquarium Sealant. Leakage will cause them to rust. Which of them has a smaller gap allowance. Any expert?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    magnets or suction cups....as long you have an entrance for fish to swim in, dun be suprise to find bodies inside. the best way is to ensure your moss wall touches all 4 cornors without any entrance for fishes to swim in. this way gap allowance does not make much of a difference.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GER View Post
    magnets or suction cups....as long you have an entrance for fish to swim in, dun be suprise to find bodies inside. the best way is to ensure your moss wall touches all 4 cornors without any entrance for fishes to swim in. this way gap allowance does not make much of a difference.
    Hmm I wonder if you can use those magnetic sheets, like the ones they cut up to use on whiteboards.

They won't rust, and you can totally seal up the edges with a few strips. Can probably buy at Bras Brasah or popular bookstore.

I'll try this if I decide to go mosswall. Hmm if you use stainless mesh, maybe can just double sided tape the entire magnet sheet on the back of your tank, then just attach the mesh with magnetic force.

Has anyone tried this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    small fish like tetra can get into the gap but may get stuck inside..so its better not to leave any gap

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its either you leave a big gap so that even fish can hide inside. or leave no gap at all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To prevent fish from being stuck in-between, I use a hook that is tied only at the top. The gap is almost similar to the suction plugs we normally use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The last time i tried a moss wall setup, i had relentless algae growth. From black out to EI dosing to anti-biotics dosing, but the algae always came back.

This was largely because of the moss behind the mesh. They were always browning due to lack of light and thus ending up having BGA/thread algae growing on them. They tend to trap debris easily also.

This would explain why my current setup doesnt have a moss wall.