Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Recommendations for Algae Eaters / "Sucker" fishes in my 35x20x23cm tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Recommendations for Algae Eaters / "Sucker" fishes in my 35x20x23cm tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Alloz~!

Do you guys have recommendations for Algae Eaters / "Cleaning" fishes in my 35x20x23cm tank? Sorry for the noobieness but my current vocab calls them sucker fishes / algae eaters.

Do they eat other fishes waste material or just algae?

Thanks a bunch~!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For starters, you can get small SAEs (Siamese Algae Eaters)(Scientific Name: Crossocheilus siamensis) and Otos (Scientific Name: Otocinclus affinis), both of wich are excellent starters for "cleaner" fishes.

Another type are Plecos which are also good for this purpose.

Going a bit further, you can also engage other efficient helpers as part of your cleaning crew which is the Amano/Yamato shrimps.

In general, they are not garbage eaters but feed mainly on algae and other microscopic plants/organisms found in fish wastes.
    Rendezvous With Destiny...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, I din't know that there are so many "cleaner" fishes~! Shrimps eh? Oh maybe there will be for later~! Time to find some SAE or Otos. Let me google some pictures to see how they look like.

Thanks a bunch~!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 9th Sep 2008 at 18:47. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Otos are the best i've encountered so far. i've never had much luck with SAEs, they keep dying out on me within a span of 4-5 days.. but Otos... they seem to last forever! they poop alot from the algae they eat, but that's when i know that they're doing their job! :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Do take note that Plecos aren't just merely algae cleaners as different species have different requirements. Some are wood eaters, some are closer to being carnivorous rather than herbivorous and so on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Carnivorous~!? That's the first time I heard that a sucker, I meant Pleco is carnivorous. Thankfully, I haven't bought any, else they might eat my rasboras!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 12th Sep 2008 at 18:18. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    You are confusing carnivorous with predatory. Predators are carnivorous, but carnivorous may not always be predatory. Wikipedia is your best friend, go look up the entry on carnivore.

Plecos, that lean towards a carnivorous diet, will not predate on fishes like rasboras etc., but they will include invertebrates (e.g. crustaceans, insect larvae) in their diet. And if you feed them fish meat, they will not refuse. Here is a good read on the various diets of Plecos.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesw...article_id=294

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    You are confusing carnivorous with predatory. Predators are carnivorous, but carnivorous may not always be predatory. Wikipedia is your best friend, go look up the entry on carnivore.

Plecos, that lean towards a carnivorous diet, will not predate on fishes like rasboras etc., but they will include invertebrates (e.g. crustaceans, insect larvae) in their diet. And if you feed them fish meat, they will not refuse. Here is a good read on the various diets of Plecos.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesw...article_id=294
    Ooops, pardon me! Thanks for the info link! Lots of reading to do.

My tank has just been wiped out by white spot disease so guess I m starting from scratch again...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    tank that size abit small to house algae eaters, im having a 1FT 30x30x30 cm and am comtemplating between keeping my 5 months nerite snail or change to oto. Oto has been known to have high mortality issue, so im still in the mids of deciding. Nerites snails are good at cleaning glasses and filter inlets but bioload are high with them burrowing into your foreground uprooting hairgrass/ hc / glosso. They also tend to become less active in PH < 7 water, and mine is currently experiencing shell corrosion. I dose traces on alternate days, and i believe copper do affect their "coloring", I recalled when i bought mine from Colin at crs haven, it was a healthy pink, now,... its looking abit greyish tink on the underside.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys~!

I got myself 2 corys & an oto for my tank~!! So far so good~!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have 2 SAEs and 10 otos in my 2ft tank. They do a good job! My choice, SAEs. i usually see them working but the otos lazing around. Heres a picture.

-LM-
    Newbie in this exciting hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luncheonMeat View Post
    i have 2 SAEs and 10 otos in my 2ft tank. They do a good job! My choice, SAEs. i usually see them working but the otos lazing around.
    SAEs do grow very fast and when they are bigger, they will show less interest in their expected duty of munching algae but compete actively with their other tank mates for food pellets and others. In addition they also turn aggressive. It's good you have a pair as they will turn on each other most of the time and not so often on other folks.

Otos, on the other hand, are a hardworking crew to have and you will not regret having these slow-growing little guys around to keep your tank clean of the dreadful algae

Do note that you have quite a big cleaning crew and may have to supplement them with algae tablets for such a small tank where there might not have a lot of algae to feed on.

My two cents...
    Last edited by Quixotic; 26th Sep 2008 at 19:55. Reason: Remove photo quote
    Rendezvous With Destiny...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luncheonMeat View Post
    i have 2 SAEs and 10 otos in my 2ft tank. They do a good job! My choice, SAEs. i usually see them working but the otos lazing around. Heres a picture.
    10 otos~!! I've only 1~!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have got 3 otos...and they are lone wolves.

they don't mix with each other...
    Last edited by Quixotic; 2nd Oct 2008 at 00:29. Reason: Please kindly refrain from SMS lingo, e.g. 'dun', thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    For starters, you can get small SAEs (Siamese Algae Eaters)(Scientific Name: Crossocheilus siamensis) and Otos (Scientific Name: Otocinclus affinis), both of wich are excellent starters for "cleaner" fishes.

Another type are Plecos which are also good for this purpose.

Going a bit further, you can also engage other efficient helpers as part of your cleaning crew which is the Amano/Yamato shrimps.

In general, they are not garbage eaters but feed mainly on algae and other microscopic plants/organisms found in fish wastes.

Plecos nowday not hardworking liao.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for a tank that small, you might not have enough algae for the oto to eat. that's what happened to mine, sadly. it died of hunger i believe. but i realised it one step too late.

i think a couple of nerites should do the job.