Country
    Singapore

Plants and Algae - Part II

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

One week has passed since I started beefing up the health of my plants to rid those pesky BBA. Trimmed plenty and seem like BBA are not multiplying (fingers crossed) except for some noticeable remnant that look like gray/white hair. Are they dead? My previous experience tells me they are but I need a second opinion on this.

Most plants are responding to their daily tonic of 'Red Bull' and are bubbly except for my A reineckii, she has alot to catch up.

Following this observation, I noticed a new form of alga has started to appear. They are long thread of green algae that cling to leaves too. Has anyone this sort of experience? What are the conditions of your tank when you have them?

Have not taken water parameters yet but I have been dosing daily 5ppm of NO3 to my always zero tank since. The last I measured NO3 stabilised at around 5ppm and my PO4 is neither close to the colour for 0.5ppm and 1ppm so I presume its between those numbers. No sign of Fe deficiency, guessed my daily one drop of A1 and Micro each is sufficient.

Can anyone ring some bells?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2 is another item you need to check.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BC,

I think my CO2 is Ok. 1 bubble every 2 sec. One thing I don't dare tell you guys is my fish load. Sure kena mock! IT'S BIG! 9 Rainbow Fishes - averaging 4 inches big, 2 apisto, RAM, 10 Cardinal ....... so big that I lost count. I guess there must be over 50 fishes in that teeny weeny 2.5ft. Anymore CO2 than that, fishes surely suffocate. Oops, CK, are you there? Hope you are not listening.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually
    yamato shrimp will clear out the stringy algae
    but with apistos in the tank it's not an option
    i find the long stringy kinds of algae to be more of a visitor than a resident
    they go away pretty quickly

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Whew! Glad to hear that!!

Yeah, Yamatos is what I thought. Unfortunately, the fifteen I brought 2 weeks ago are history. Too much critters competing for too little O2.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/24/2002 10:45:35 AM

BC,

I think my CO2 is Ok. 1 bubble every 2 sec. One thing I don't dare tell you guys is my fish load. Sure kena mock! IT'S BIG! 9 Rainbow Fishes - averaging 4 inches big, 2 apisto, RAM, 10 Cardinal ....... so big that I lost count. I guess there must be over 50 fishes in that teeny weeny 2.5ft. Anymore CO2 than that, fishes surely suffocate. Oops, CK, are you there? Hope you are not listening.
    ----------------
    I think fish load do not really contribute significant CO2. CO2 is not the biggest concerns for high fish load but O2 level. O2 is used by the plants, the bacteria breaking down fish wastes, converting NH3 to NO2 to NO3...etc. In planted tank O2 should not be too much of a concern. NH3 may be the bigger problem... NH3 is suppose to be a big contributor to algae growth not to mention toxic to fishes.

Many times, in a high light tank, the CO2 level is not sufficient. Maintain about 25ppm is important to balance things up. Do check your pH/KH if possible.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2 level is critical for super fast plant growth...but the level is very much up to you...if you have sensitive fishes like discus or rams...I think 15-20ppm is what you should aim for. As for non-sensitive or so call less sensitive ones..you can shoot for 25-40ppm as recommended by tropica I think..Mmmmmmmmm..sure is interesting. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Guys.