Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey UncleRobin sir,
    Sorry for not replying cause was busy with school attachment.
    Was wondering, where can i get cheap 2nd hand mini fridge.

Still your number 1 fan,
    Fabby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hihi,
    you can try ebay.com.sg just surf in at type ' refrigerator'
    btw what is your tank size, maybe i can help you to source out the mini fridge
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hello,
    My tank size is approximately 1.5ft x 3/4 ft.
    Where did you get your tube from?
    Anyway, is your chiller still working?

Fabian

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you glued the Pipe elbows using Pipe glue ?
    I noticed one of them has a hose taped to the pipe ......
    maybe you can buy a hose clamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hose_clamp
    to tighten the hose ..... looks scary

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by inque View Post
    Did you glued the Pipe elbows using Pipe glue ?
    I noticed one of them has a hose taped to the pipe ......
    maybe you can buy a hose clamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hose_clamp
    to tighten the hose ..... looks scary
    thank bro for your kind advise, btw the pic your saw on my post was just a trial to be sure it can cool my 3 footer tank.
    had already done a proper installation using pvc glue and hose clamp.
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fabby View Post
    hello,
    My tank size is approximately 1.5ft x 3/4 ft.
    Where did you get your tube from?
    Anyway, is your chiller still working?

Fabian
    hi bro
    had reply you on your pm feel free to call me if you are ready to do the set up.
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow... i want to have a dIY chiller too...
    gd job unclerobin!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by daphne12 View Post
    wow... i want to have a dIY chiller too...
    gd job unclerobin!
    thank bro,
    1 stone 2 birds, can cool my tank water and at same time store my beer and can drinks
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by unclerobin View Post
    thank bro for your kind advise, btw the pic your saw on my post was just a trial to be sure it can cool my 3 footer tank.
    had already done a proper installation using pvc glue and hose clamp.

U pro DIY man .... if me i'll be too scare to do the actual drilling

I dun know if installing Heal insulation on the pipes will help ?
    U know the black sponge like material.

Anyone have installed them on their chiller's tubing ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

If you need something of a much bigger gun for the job, can look for these items for very basic materials :

- Split aircon unit : you need the condensor and compressor part only (the one box unit hangs outside of your home). General rule of thumb for optimal and superior power is 1W per liter (so if your tank is 500W, gets the 1/2pk rated aircon unit). The blower has no use in this case. You will need all the piping from the outside unit to reach you aquarium.
    - Titanium piping, bent into coil or zig-zag. This will act as evaporator, the part which transfer the coldness to water. You dip this part in your sump or directly at the corner of your tank if you have none. Titanium alone will work safe and well. Do not use copper or even worse aluminium tubing.
    - Electrical cut off timer : to regulate when the cooler work. You need to study this by running the system. Maybe more when (on for 15 minutes every 30 minutes interval) the light is on and less when the light is out.

You cannot do the welding and installation alone and will need mr aircon handyman to help out. Torching and coolant filling (involves welding equipment, cylinder or refrigerant and vacuum pump) must be done by the experts.

Now, dont mention 24C.
    This kind of setup, powered by right machine will gave no problem to pull down to 15-18C.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    If you need something of a much bigger gun for the job, can look for these items for very basic materials :

- Split aircon unit : you need the condensor and compressor part only (the one box unit hangs outside of your home). General rule of thumb for optimal and superior power is 1W per liter (so if your tank is 500W, gets the 1/2pk rated aircon unit). The blower has no use in this case. You will need all the piping from the outside unit to reach you aquarium.
    - Titanium piping, bent into coil or zig-zag. This will act as evaporator, the part which transfer the coldness to water. You dip this part in your sump or directly at the corner of your tank if you have none. Titanium alone will work safe and well. Do not use copper or even worse aluminium tubing.
    - Electrical cut off timer : to regulate when the cooler work. You need to study this by running the system. Maybe more when (on for 15 minutes every 30 minutes interval) the light is on and less when the light is out.

You cannot do the welding and installation alone and will need mr aircon handyman to help out. Torching and coolant filling (involves welding equipment, cylinder or refrigerant and vacuum pump) must be done by the experts.

Now, dont mention 24C.
    This kind of setup, powered by right machine will gave no problem to pull down to 15-18C.
    this is probably the rolls royce of all diy chiller. Unfortunately it is a bit "high power" and may need more from most diy can provide.
    THE other problem is the high consumption of electricity from the condenser vs the bar fridge imho.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Yes.

And the fridge do work I assure you. But to lesser extent in terms of tank size.
    A good alternative to make it cheap.

In Singapore it is usually common to have small to medium sized tank.
    But sometimes folks will own insanely big tank relatively mad for personal property. When the volume reaches 1000L and even more (some go nuts to over 3000L), people will start to look and appreciate the power of aircon unit.

Such unit is relatively free of hassle and maintenance is exactly like your aircon unit. The outside unit is rarely serviced (unlike the blower part).

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

can give an idea of what is the wattage of the air con model vs the fridge diy model?

think the bar fridge should be pretty low in wattage.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

The fridge should rate at 75-100W, cheap to buy and serve well smaller tank size maybe around or less of than 50g. It has to run long haul, probably 12 hrs in total in a single day due to the small capacity cooling.
    If it to last longer, you will likely need a small fan to blow at the compressor/condenser to keep them cool. Fridge are not made to be on for long hours.

VS

Air con unit on the other had can range from 400-2000W and can serve well enough to the bigger tank. 2000W unit on 500g or 400W on a 120g would be no sweat at all to pull temp down to 20C. Due to immense cooling power it holds, other than capable of handling large tank, it also can run for less hours per day, probably just on for 10-15 minutes per hour. This translates to less burden and longer service time.
    The unit may not be so expensive but needs more effort to install. Titanium coil for the evaporator is not cheap at all and is needed for reliable and safe way of transferring cold temp.

*I was told that for each 1 pk of air con may be equal to around 750-800W of electricity. Deduct power taken for the blower (which is absent in this use), it should be around 650W.

I personally made my DIY chiller out of freezer parts. It takes around 400W (compressor and cooling fan) and has to work for 8 hours in total a day just to cool down my 240g tank at 26C. The tank itself is quite hot with 3 x 150W MH lighting and 144W of neon, on for 7-8hrs a day. I would recommend something like 750W worth of compressor energy for a tank of such size, so that it cools faster, better and work for less hours.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by inque View Post
    U pro DIY man

Thank bro,
    Forgive me if i get carried away by your comments.

I design water cooling system for restaurant huge FGT to house australian lobster and live abalone with the cooling capacity ranging from 10c to 15c in the early 80's.

.... if me i'll be too scare to do the actual drilling
    Yup drilling part are scary cause you never know where are the wiring and heating element conceal in the compartment. for the freezer part i did not have to worry as it is visible, and the rest piece of cake. ( read all my thread you will get all the answer)

I dun know if installing Heal insulation on the pipes will help ?
    It does help to maintain the water temperture, but my water piping is just only about a meter long from my fridge to my tank i think it is not neccessay to have them ( insulation rubber) around the pipe.

U know the black sponge like material.
    Anyone have installed them on their chiller's tubing ?
    The black sponge you refering to are those insulation rubber wrap round the copper piping to prevent water condensation when the liquid gas return back to the compressor after the capillary tube from the cooling coil, and to prevent burning of skin when someone accidentally touch the copper tubing when gas are pump from the compressor to the capillary tube into the cooling coil. ( this installation technique was during the early 80's don't know if there is any changes now in cooling system, any bro please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm no longer in this trade.)
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[COLOR=blue]The black sponge you refering to are those insulation rubber wrap round the copper....
    Hi Bro, I was just wondering if I can view your DIY chiller one of this days cos I'm really impress by it, can chile the tank yet use it to put coke!

I saw a mini fridge in Giant costing about $200... not sure should I diy it or go for a new std chiller as $280 for a 1/10hp. Lost!
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    Hi Bro, I was just wondering if I can view your DIY chiller one of this days cos I'm really impress by it, can chile the tank yet use it to put coke!

hi bro,
    just mention your timing for me to "show-off" my so call invention,

I saw a mini fridge in Giant costing about $200... not sure should I diy it or go for a new std chiller as $280 for a 1/10hp. Lost!
    i suggest you should not act on impluse, visit ebay.com.sg you can get cheap fridge there. the diy chiller might work on my tank but maybe not your tank cause the surounding room temp in your house play a very important point, and in term of your lighting too, if you are using 2 x 150watt MH light i gurantee it will steam all your life stock for dinner if you are using a mini fridge.
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i suggest you should not act on impluse, visit ebay.com.sg you can get cheap fridge there. the diy chiller might work on my tank but maybe not your tank cause the surounding room temp in your house play a very important point, and in term of your lighting too, if you are using 2 x 150watt MH light i gurantee it will steam all your life stock for dinner if you are using a mini fridge.
    Thank you so much for the advise. I will keep in mind. Well I guess my house is rather windy with 2 fans blowing I was able to achieved 27C... previously with my old filter I was getting 25.5... Lighting is at 96W and base on a 2ft tank size. I just want to bring to 25C will do actually.

Well do you also stay in Tampines
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    Thank you so much for the advise. I will keep in mind. Well I guess my house is rather windy with 2 fans blowing I was able to achieved 27C... previously with my old filter I was getting 25.5... Lighting is at 96W and base on a 2ft tank size. I just want to bring to 25C will do actually.

Well do you also stay in Tampines
    yeah bro. me at tampines st 11
    btw what are the plant in your tank, is it those hardly type, if so i think 27c is okie. i'm using 2 ac fan for my wife 2 footer and the temp are around 25c to 27c, all the plant and riccia are growing well.
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    The fridge should rate at 75-100W, cheap to buy and serve well smaller tank size maybe around or less of than 50g. It has to run long haul, probably 12 hrs in total in a single day due to the small capacity cooling.
    If it to last longer, you will likely need a small fan to blow at the compressor/condenser to keep them cool. Fridge are not made to be on for long hours.

VS

Air con unit on the other had can range from 400-2000W and can serve well enough to the bigger tank. 2000W unit on 500g or 400W on a 120g would be no sweat at all to pull temp down to 20C. Due to immense cooling power it holds, other than capable of handling large tank, it also can run for less hours per day, probably just on for 10-15 minutes per hour. This translates to less burden and longer service time.
    The unit may not be so expensive but needs more effort to install. Titanium coil for the evaporator is not cheap at all and is needed for reliable and safe way of transferring cold temp.

*I was told that for each 1 pk of air con may be equal to around 750-800W of electricity. Deduct power taken for the blower (which is absent in this use), it should be around 650W.

I personally made my DIY chiller out of freezer parts. It takes around 400W (compressor and cooling fan) and has to work for 8 hours in total a day just to cool down my 240g tank at 26C. The tank itself is quite hot with 3 x 150W MH lighting and 144W of neon, on for 7-8hrs a day. I would recommend something like 750W worth of compressor energy for a tank of such size, so that it cools faster, better and work for less hours.
    I thought Fridge is Not Meant to be OFF at all. If a mini fridge works like the
    Normal ones then i dun think additional fan required. Just that u need to do
    PM (Preventive Maintanance) like check Coolant gas pressure ( this maybe nid expert to check for you) , clean fin and suck out dirt on the compressor area for better air circulation.

Anyone know Temp. best for Planted tank ?
    Generally speaking of course.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast