Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

trimming riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello guys, what a way to start X'mas: stuck in front of my Comp and starting to do work when I realise I've drifted into AQ again. hahaha[]

Anyway, I need to ask pple out there who has exp with riccia. I've tied my riccia between a mesh and my driftwood. The driftwood is about 45 degrees below the water surface. [can view it in "my tank" link below] The riccia is growing fine and that's when I decided to trim them - seeing that the bottom is starting to yellow.

But the horror was: upon the first trim, the whole bunch of riccia began to dislodge itself from the mesh! [:0] so my question is:

1) when should we trim a riccia - suspect I trim it too late? the riccia was about an inch long then.

2) how do we go about trimming it? do we have to nip small patches instead of cutting big patches like our barber with our hair?

Thanks so much.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

From my past experience, when the riccia turn yellow or even brown, it still can grow new leaves out from both color, riccia is so hardy that last time I got a busket full of brown riccia, under strong lighting. New leaves start coming out of the brown section.

but the new leaves is not as nice as when u first started out.
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u shld regularly trim yr riccia, to prevent having them grow and finally dislodge themselve from the net... when riccia grows to a considerable thickness, the below will be depriving it from light, thus weakens it from the bottom and becoz riccia has a higher bouyancy, dislodging will be soon to come

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anakin,

just take note of the length of your riccia, and try to cut it before the base has yellowed/browned.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys, will try to do more regular trimming, it's justbthat the riccia looks so nice when it's growing so well. Pity to trim it back. *sigh*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Next time that thought comes to you... Just remember how your tank looked when your riccia detached itself from the mesh
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hahahaha [] yes, sir! Will remember to do that. thanks, guys!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So after we trim away the green ones, the yellow/brown at the bottom will grow again or we have to redo the mesh again using the greens ones?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bettapassion, TTL said in a thread above that the brown portion will sprout new leaves. I have no idea myself []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So anakin, you redo agian or you just let the brown ones grow again?