Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: blood worm or internal parasite ?

Feedback Score

blood worm or internal parasite ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys , recently bought some gravel and moss. when i added the moss on the gravel. i found a red worm !! and then i went searching and found some more !!! when it slipped out of my hand it crawls into the gravel and hide. i had to dig up the gravel to find it. isit a blood worm or a internal parasite ? another thing is , i use a tweezer and pick it up , then it started to open its mouth ! ~~~~~~(< does anyone have a pic of the red intrenal parasite? is there any cure? no fishes yet , haven't even add in the gravel
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think what you have is a leech. If I were you, I will bleach everything.

Loh K L

??????

Serious or not???

Maybe akin to my kerosene advice?
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm serious.

Although the leech which sometimes appear in our fish tanks do not harm either fish or plants, they can multiply. I remember an experience from many years ago. A friend had hundreds of them in his goldfish tank. They look like tubifex worms but can swim much faster. Their skins are tough and unlike tubifex, they won't break into two easily when you cut them with a razor. I helped my friend empty his tank completely and we spread the gravel on his balcony floor. We then poured boiling water onto the gravel and thought that would definitely kill the leeches.

After we put everything back; a few weeks later, the leeches appeared in his tanks again and they were there in the hundreds as before.

Bleach should be effective. Just pour a cap of chlorox into your tanks and let it stand for an hour or two. Bleach, as far as I know, kills everything. What the boiling water couldn't kill were the eggs. The eggs would have died if they came into contact with the boiling water but somehow or other, some eggs survive the boiling water treatment as the hot water didn't penetrate every gap in the gravel. That's what I surmise, anyway.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    BLEACH ?! won't that kill my moss ? i saw the pet safari use this " yellow powder" on internal parasite. will that kill em ? thinking of adding the "yellow powder" . it cost abt $2.50. forgot the name

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BLEACH ?! won't that kill my moss ?
    ----------------
    Oh yes, it definitely will if you don't remove the moss from the tank. That yellow powder you mentioned which I think is Befuran won't work. Leeches are tough critters. It will take more than just yellow powder to kill them.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    oh boy.... coz i found some on my moss too ! experimented it with a snail and the worm just ran away from it. oh boy ... guess have to get rid of the moss. gonna bleach my gravel than

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh boy.... coz i found some on my moss too ! experimented it with a snail and the worm just ran away from it. oh boy ... guess have to get rid of the moss. gonna bleach my gravel than
    ----------------
    Huh?? What do you mean by "experimented it with a snail"? If I didn't know better, I would think you were trying to cross a leech with a snail. Come to think of it, I wonder what will be the result of such a combination. Well, whatever it is, it's sure to get a seat on the bus, that's for sure []

Hey, before you start killing everything in your tank, make sure that what you have is really a leech. It should be red in colour and move like a caterpillar. The ends are not sharp like tubifex but open like an elephant's trunk. Is this the creature you have?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    ya ! 1 end is like an elephants's trunk ! the other is like any other worm but if u use a razor to slice in 2 , it still sticks and the worm riund end opens up , like a mouth

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    after you cut it into two, watch both ends
    does it die?
    what you're describing could very well be a bloodworm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, Chia2K, visit my website at "www.killies.com'. Click on "Food". I have a picture there of bloodworms.

Loh K L