Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is this the right way to treat a sick fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is this the right way to treat a sick fish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I just lost my favourite ram today. I was feeling rather bad and thought that maybe the treatment which I administered could have contributed to its demise.
    I'm writing the steps and hope someone experienced enough can point out my mistakes.

1)Yesterday first noticed the ram not eating and gasping for air near water surface. No other external signs of sickness. Other fishes were fine.
    2)Filled a basin with 3l of aged water and dosed 1ml of Ocean Free anti-internal bacteria(herbal). Put the ram in and kept it there for 30 minutes as instructed.
    3) Took the ram out and put it into a betta tank(make shift hospital tank) size 6"x6"x9" with 3l of aged water. Dosed 1 ml of ketapang extract solution to help calm the ram.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The problem with rams is that they are very sensitive to water conditions. I imagine the tank which you keep your ram is planted right? What is the KH value? If it is sick (seems to be as the way the fish act this way) the sudden change in pH water level will further weaken the fish not to add that you will also stress it by netting it in and out of tanks so often.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jason, u sure it was suffering from internal parasite? could be dropsy.. normal procedures will contain isolating and administrating it with medication..

have anyone tried treating internal parasite with garlic in a planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i agree with PeterGwee abt stressing the fish.. i think by switching so many places the fish maybe got too stressed and died..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess the moving of a sick ram stressed it out and partly contributed to its death. Thanks for your advices guys, I shall keep an unused tank as a hospital tank for future treatments.

Simon, I couldn't find anything wrong externally with the fish except for its abnormal behaviour. So I had to presume it was suffering from bacteria(not internal parasite) infection and used the Ocean Free medicine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Generally speaking, when any fish is sick you have to consider if you want to treat in tank or out of tank. IMO, Treating in tank is usually a better solution as it has the advantages of not stressing out the sick fish with a move, and also helps guard your "healthy" fish against the sickness...

This is not always possible especially if your medicine is particularly strong, or not well tolerated by plants and other fauna.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    I don't trust Ocean Free products at all. I have not one but several bad experiences that their medication killed my fish. I did an experiment with two same fish with the smae disease once. One I used Interpret, the other I used Ocean Free. The results were obvious to me, Ocean Free was the culprit.

Switch to a more reliable medication brand, I know Ocean Free is rather cheap. But when it comes to fish, I think I prefer a Western medication than one asian made.

Stallion
    Where there is water, there will be fish...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wks

whenever you see any fish at the surface gasping for air, the thing to look for is

1. Is the fish more brightly colored then normal?..if yes it is one of syptom of excessive nitrite for the fish in question. Test the water for nitrite....if yes, execute a 30 to 40% water change depending on the amount of NO2...salt your tank at 1tbsp to 10 gallons of water.

2. if not above...observe the gill flaps and see if there is any mucus trails coming out....in most cases of gill infection, there is always mucus trail...if there is, first coz of action is to dose your tank at 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water, and try not to treat in a hospital tank. Reason being that most gill infection are non-species related that means that it will infect any fish.

anyway wks...rams are difficult fish and sometimes they 'Kong Out' for no apparent reason.....that is way i dont keep rams even though i really like them alot....i have sent too many to fishy heaven.....hopefully they dont come back looking for me during the 7th month thingy[]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...