Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Collected 2 species of Cryptocorynes, need help with ID

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I finally found some wild cryptocorynes for the first time in Malay Peninsula during my recent field trip to Pahang / Kelantan area. In fact, I found 2 species and hope that someone could provide me with some advices on their ID:

Cryptocoryne 1:

They were growing both emersed and submersed covering the low banks on the sides of a rather fast flowing stream. No flowers were spotted, the pH of the water is about 7. They are quite a miniture species (leaves are about maximum 3cm long) and spread out flatly over the banks (unlike some other type of cryptocorynes with erected leaf petiole), from far I thought they were moss until I examined them closer.

Cryptocoryne 2:

All of them were growing submersed in water, I spotted a mutured flower with its spathe growing out of the water. From the colour of the new leaves and the flower, I suspect that it is C. affinis.

Hope that some experts out there can give me some pointers. Thanks!

I'd guess they're both affinis. Can't be sure without the spathe. Great find!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am quite certain the 2nd Cryptocoryne is C. affinis but the 1st one...... hmmmm ...... The 2 Cryptocorynes are quite different as:
    1. the 1st Cryptocoryne are really miniture as compared to the 2nd Cryptocoryne;
    2. the colour of the back of the leaves of the 1st Cryptocoryne do not vary as much from the colour of the front of the leaves as compared to the 2nd Cryptocoryne;
    3. the way how the 1st cryptocoryne's leaves spread out flat along the banks is rather unique

I was trying to access to "The Crypts Pages" website the whole of last weekend to check against the library of photographs for all the species of Cryptocorynes found in the Malay Peninsula but the web site is down.

Hopefully I can successfully flower them to confirm their ID.

The site is back up - take a look.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Illumbomb,

Congratulation. You are like me, poison by crypts.

The second one is definitely affinis. The first one is difficult to say, it still could be affinis as the color and shape might vary with condition.

Yoong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This is how the cryptocorynes looks in my small tank, I just planted them this week so they have yet to stabilise.

Those taller ones at the back are the C. affinis 'Gua Musang' and those in front at the foreground are the C. sp 'Pahang'.

The C. affinis 'Gua Musang'

C. sp 'Pahang'

C. sp 'Pahang'

How beautiful can they grow?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Illumbomb,
    How is your submerged crypt growing. I find Malaysian wild crypt is very difficult to grow in submerge condition. Most of mine just barely hanging on. Emerse grow on the other hand is quite easy.

Yoong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Yoong,

The C. affinis 'Gua Musang' and C. sp 'Pahang' which were collected from pH neutral streams are actually growing fine in the nano shrimp tank using GEX soil and distilled water (pH is about 6.8 - 7). Well at least they are growing new leaves and are not melting.

My C. schulzei found in acidic water (according to my friend, he was the one who collected for me) is growing well too in my other nano tank using 'Horti' Brand soil (with peat inside so pH achieved is about 4 to 4.5) with distilled water again. The water level is low (about 5 cm only) as I am hoping to flower them this way.

So far I only have the above few species in excess to even try growing them submersed, the rest are single stalks being grown emersed in pots.

Which are the species you have tried to grow submersed but found them difficult to? If I have those in excess, I will try too and let you know the results.

What substrates are you using currently? Maybe you can try to use similar substrates and distilled water as me to see if they can improve the growth?

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Illumbomb,
    Crypts that I have tried in my planted submerge tank are: Schulzei, striolata, longicauda, bullosa Ferrugena, etc. The base are holland sand. Tank has been established for 3 years.

I suppect it is due high nitrate level because the biological load are high with 6 altum angels, some tetras, pleco, etc. HOwever, never get down to mesuaring the nitrate level.

Yoong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Updates on the C. sp 'Pahang':

Adapting well to my emersed cultivation

Notice the red dots that recently appeared on the newer submersed leaves, nutrient difficiency or inherent trait?

Top view for submersed cultivation. I think this species has great potential as a great foreground plant!