Country
    Singapore

ppm and bps relation.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys!
    After wrecking my brain I finally somehow got the concept of the relation between KH and PH. However, from the KH and PH chart, I am only able to get the CO2 in term of PPM.
    What is PPM? And after knowing the desired PPM, how do I convert that into BPS???
    PLease please help me as I am about to go walk fire enter demon (zhou huo ru mo)

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Adman...well...here is a good article that will teach you all about pH/KH/CO2 relationship...read it and you should understand how to inject CO2 into a planted tank correctly. http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That is the exact website that I read up on KH PH and CO2.
    However, CO2 was given in PPM. And I don't really know how to convert that into BPS(Bubble Per Second).
    What is PPM anyway??
    Thanks!
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    PPM stands for parts per million...Well..determine your KH first with the use of a test-kit (NOT 5 in 1 type lah..not accurate)..Singapore water usually gives a KH value of 0-3 depending on the area you are staying. After you get your KH value...find the pH value that will give you 15-20ppm of CO2 with the use of the calculator provided with that webby. Inject CO2 so that you can bring the pH down to the level you need and maintain it there (cannot maintain exactly...should be around there lor) with the apropriate bubble rate (depends lor...as long as you can get the pH you want and maintain it there..the bubble rate will do)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There is no direct relation between ppm (parts per million) and bps (bubbles per second). With regards to CO2 injection, The first simply tells you the concentration of CO2 in your water... bps on the other hand tells you the rate at which CO2 is being injected into the water.

The reason I say there is no direct relation is because even if you inject 2 tanks with similar volumes at exactly the same bps, you may not get the same concentrations of CO2... other factors like plants, position of the tank, wind, even the type of tank play a part.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro!
    So it's more trial and error heh?
    Thanks again![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    something like that
    but the higher the bps the higher the ppm, generally