Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

stupid low temperature

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello... has anyone thought of putting ice in a zip-lock into the tank like daily to reduce temp? cuz not all of us can afford chillers lah... so anyone attempted this before? i dont think a fan would help that much... my current temp is 29C i'l like to achieve at least a 25... its a 2 feet tank... i need the low temp for my christmas moss and some other low temp demanding plants i'm going to buy...

thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    any care to diy this idea?

1) get a used car a/c condenser coil.
    2) rig some fans to blow into coil for cooiling.
    3) rig some low pressure water pump to create a spray into the condenser.
    4) water evaporating from condenser should cool.
    5) connect the outlet pipe from filter and pipe to tank.

any comment?
    thomas liew

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ryan,
    to reduce 4 degrees in temp is a lot for a tank.. using a fan might be able to reduce up to 2 degrees max without pushing it but not 4.. to achieve that temp.. 2 choices, get a chiller (no choice!![] ) or get tons of fans and place it in an aircon room.. it might just work...
    anyway.. should u consider a chiller, what is your budget? i know of some that are below a $1k.... can help u to check out if u like.
    Kelvin
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan, 25 degree is abit difficult to achieve, unless u have a 2ft tank or smaller... x'mas moss dun really need kinda temp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ryan,
    I used to put the 1.5l plastic bottle with ice in my tank to decrease the temparature(twice a day).
    My tank is about 50cm(L)* 40cm(H) pentagon tank which is approximately 2 feet , so you may achive 25C(it takes about half an hour) with help of ice and 1 AC fan. Btw I realized this method may be fatal to surface swimming fish such as guppy, platy and loach which is vulnerable to white spot.That why i gave up these fish.
    Anyway, your plant will be happy with it.
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi tawauboy

it maybe a good idea in theory but dont think it is going to work...what is the cooling media? other then Freon or 134A gas, you may not be able to achieve a 24 or 25 using a heat exchanger and passing the tank water through..unless the fan speed is at very high rpms.

perhaps others may have a better opinion to your suggestion

PS
    ooh just one more think...how would the temperature be controlled?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/18/2002 1:59:19 PM

ryan, 25 degree is abit difficult to achieve, unless u have a 2ft tank or smaller... x'mas moss dun really need kinda temp
    ----------------
    my tank is a 2 feet... at least the one i want the temp to be adjusted is 2 feet...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/18/2002 4:42:04 PM

ryan,
    I used to put the 1.5l plastic bottle with ice in my tank to decrease the temparature(twice a day).
    My tank is about 50cm(L)* 40cm(H) pentagon tank which is approximately 2 feet , so you may achive 25C(it takes about half an hour) with help of ice and 1 AC fan. Btw I realized this method may be fatal to surface swimming fish such as guppy, platy and loach which is vulnerable to white spot.That why i gave up these fish.
    Anyway, your plant will be happy with it.
    ----------------
    hey!!! u tried it? did it work? was it good? my fish aren't really do surface dwellers so i think they won't die... but it works? like u can get a constant temp with just ice and AC fan?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/18/2002 1:09:56 PM

Ryan,
    to reduce 4 degrees in temp is a lot for a tank.. using a fan might be able to reduce up to 2 degrees max without pushing it but not 4.. to achieve that temp.. 2 choices, get a chiller (no choice!![] ) or get tons of fans and place it in an aircon room.. it might just work...
    anyway.. should u consider a chiller, what is your budget? i know of some that are below a $1k.... can help u to check out if u like.
    Kelvin
    ----------------
    i'm only sixteen and my 2 tanks are only 2 feet... so a chiller is definately not an option... but with my 5 feet (1 months time), i might just consider one... could ya help me check out the price of the less than 1K chiller? thanks man![]

E-mail me if u have any news k?
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would not recomend using ice to cool your tanks. Not only it is temp effect, it also stresses your fish due to temp swings. My frens 2ft tank can be cooled by an AC fan to 26-27 deg. Should be suffice for moss.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok i'll try ac fan then... do u all use it blowing away fron the tank, sucking out the hot air or blowing at water at angle?
    do ya'll buy ocean free fans or custom computer fans... whats cheaper ?
    thanks...[] [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blowing at the water would be better, much cooler than sucking. But bear in mind you have to top up the water, maybe daily. I have 2 fans, top up daily 3L of water
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok.. i check it out for u.. when your tank (5ft) is up, let me know.. i think should be abt to get cheap for u.. me also a poor student..thus i know the constraint of $$$$...
    kelvin
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan

you may want to use the computer fan type....coz you may need to find on that has 6 fan blades....they will run quieter than the 5 fan blade.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/19/2002 11:21:04 AM

ok.. i check it out for u.. when your tank (5ft) is up, let me know.. i think should be abt to get cheap for u.. me also a poor student..thus i know the constraint of $$$$...
    kelvin
    ----------------
    oh u student too? how old are u?
    anyway thanks for helping me with the chiller, really appreciate it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Me is now 26th.. and in the University and the books are expensive.. and especially so when u are depended on the the financial minister in your house.. hahaha[] me is checking with my friend right now on the chiller issue.. and will get back to use once he quote me the price and will try to bring the price down for u...but no promises.. chiller=confirmed, better and lower price=no confirm.