Singapore

Shooting your mouth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    cute article on the curious notions of non-photographers:
    http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../kl0908-1.html

you see them commonly in Singapore too. Just this week, at a local camera shop, a guy was asking the salesman this and that about a Nikon D2X, and then tried to take a few test shots until the salesman told him he needed to insert a CF card. He borrowed a CF from the salesman and then spent 2 minute trying to insert it before giving up and asking the salesman for help....

Another interesting episode: at a recent event, one of the official photographers, an elderly fellow, lugged around a huge *** shoulder bag (about 1.5 ft long). I thought it held all his gear, but when he opened it, more than half the compartments actually held cans of Tiger Beer. He said he drinks a can before he starts shooting. Sounds like a great idea...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    budak,
    Thanks for the nice link, this reminds me of this link which is also quite a sight.

http://thehomebased.com/?p=63
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Budak, I had one of those episode. Quite funny actually, it happen when the 350D was popular back then.

A colleague bought it and told me and a couple of my friends that this camera was the ultimate digital camera to have. He didn't know there were better model available from the same brand and he kept talking and talking why he chose it and such. Now, I've never own a digital camera but the other 2 person was going into the hobby, still sitting on the fences, choosing whether to get a Canon or a Nikon digital camera. All the knowledge I've gained about digital camera was from this forum so I would know a bit about camera stuff, just a bit, not much.

So, after the free advertisement speech, he tried to convince the 3 of us to get the same model he has and took out the name card of the shop he got it from. I took the card and it was from a shop I've not heard of from reading in this forum. I told him I can't afford it and beside if I ever own one, it will be mostly tucked away, I don't have the skill to capture good picture. So I asked him since he have a good camera, what kind of pc he has? He replied.....

" PC ? Why do I need a pc for? " I told him since he has a digital camera, he need a pc to view the picture. He then told me the camera comes with a small lcd screen for him to see the actual picture. Then I told him what about photoshop, he will need to edit the picture and that's where he'll need a pc for. He told me there's a local photo shop in his neighbourhood. I again told him that was not what I meant and explain to him what a Photoshop is. By this time, he got the lost look in his place. After this time, I asked him another question as to where he is going to keep his camera and lens since this is an expensive purchase. He proudly said " of course in the box, where else would I place it. " I told him to buy a drybox for his camera. He asked me what a drybox is and by this time, my 2 friends started to laugh. I honestly didn't know that this situation could take this turn for the worse.

Sorry for the long ranting.........
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hahaha!! That's a good one BFG! Reminds me of my friend who ask me a lot about which is the best digital camera to buy. Keep complaining this is good but that one has this feature that this doesn't have, etc. He keeps talking about things like that for months comparing cameras vs cameras vs cameras. In the end he bought an Olympus. I asked him why he bought it and he said ....

it was on sale.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So thats the definition for : Empty vessel makes the loudest noise.

Cheers!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Some are just fun to have around because they make great entertainment.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Now, I've never own a digital camera but the other 2 person was going into the hobby, still sitting on the fences, choosing whether to get a Canon or a Nikon digital camera. All the knowledge I've gained about digital camera was from this forum so I would know a bit about camera stuff, just a bit, not much.

Hi BFG,

INMHO The best place to get detailed review on a Digital SLR is http://www.dpreview.com.

Do check it out and spend a few hours there before you make up your mind. Choosing a DSLR is not a question of which brand, Canon or Nikon; but it boils down to which model of the brand is better than a comparable one of the other.

Hope this helps!
    "I grow old, I grow old. I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Binks!

Don't worry. We have some good photographer here in this forum and if I would need to get a DSLR sometime in the near future, this is the place I will enquire.

If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.