Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red Tiger Lotus Question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does a red tiger lotus still retain it's deep red colour if we allow it's leaves to grow emersed? Or does it start to turn greenish? Anybody tried before?
    AquaticRemainder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my tank, the leaves remains red under sufficient lights. Under shaded area, they'll turn green even for the submersed leaves.
    Last edited by uklau; 25th Sep 2008 at 16:24.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Borrowing this thread, sorry.

Does anyone trim lotus? If yes, how to do it?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it depends on what is meant by "red tiger lotus", since many species and cultivar goes under this convenient trade name. typically the floating leaves (they are morphologically different from the submersed ones) is green with red splotches which slowly fades as the leaf ages.

for trimming of Nymphaea spp., cut off the leaves you do not want at the base of the leaf stalk.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    it depends on what is meant by "red tiger lotus", since many species and cultivar goes under this convenient trade name. typically the floating leaves (they are morphologically different from the submersed ones) is green with red splotches which slowly fades as the leaf ages.
    The plant i am refering to is the NYMPHAEA LOTUS (ZENKERI) 'RED'.
    This one -->
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...&spec=Nymphaea

so i'm assuming the leaves will eventually revert to it's green form unless kept under strong lighting. Anybody has pictures of the emersed leaves to share?
    AquaticRemainder

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi stormchild,

By emersed leaves do you mean growing them in emersed form like most Echinodorus plants?
    My Nymphaea Lotus 'Red' leaves normally get burnt when they reached the water surface, too close to the lights perhaps. As such, I have no chance to observe the change in colour, if any.
    Warning: All posts are based on personal experience with no creditable validation whatsoever...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalmystic View Post
    Hi stormchild,

By emersed leaves do you mean growing them in emersed form like most Echinodorus plants?
    My Nymphaea Lotus 'Red' leaves normally get burnt when they reached the water surface, too close to the lights perhaps. As such, I have no chance to observe the change in colour, if any.
    Erm... i mean emersed as in those water lilies you see on the surface of some ponds.

I agree that the likelihood of the leaves getting burnt is high. Hence my intention is to have them in natural indirect sunlight.
    AquaticRemainder

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually waterlilies does best in open sunlight as they inhabit open waterbodies. give them enough light and they will start flowering soon after they develop floating leaves.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    My red tiger lotus plant didn't seem to be interested in growing upward... is it because my light is strong?

Actually I don't mind to have some combination of submerged and emersed leaves... it looks good and natural.
    Last edited by TTS; 24th Aug 2009 at 11:29.
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually waterlilies does best in open sunlight as they inhabit open waterbodies. give them enough light and they will start flowering soon after they develop floating leaves.
    Ah. That's what i thought so too. But after reading some threads on Green Culture Singapore, lilies tend to burn after being exposed to direct sunlight for too long. 4-6 hours is recommended. Best to be morning or late afternoon. Direct sunlight in the early afternoon should be avoided.
    AquaticRemainder

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, if you go to SBG lake does the waterlilies there get burnt?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    Borrowing this thread, sorry.

Does anyone trim lotus? If yes, how to do it?

Thanks.

You "pinch"the stems so that the Oxygen does not escape. By pinching I mean pinching with two fingers so that you effectively crop the stem while sealing it at the same time.
    "I grow old, I grow old. I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TTS View Post
    My red tiger lotus plant didn't seem to be interested in growing upward... is it because my light is strong?

Actually I don't mind to have some combination of submerged and emersed leaves... it looks good and natural.
    switch off your light for a few days and you will notice they will grow upward.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, if you go to SBG lake does the waterlilies there get burnt?
    Hey moderator, chill. No need to get defensive. What i got was from other informative forums (like Green Culture) learning from other forumers like myself. Maybe they don't burn, maybe they do.

And what is SBG? Another SMS lingo?
    AquaticRemainder

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry if my sentences lean to the side of curt. it was a simple answer that meant nothing more. it has nothing to do with my moderatordom.

SBG is an abbreviation, perhaps a little less well known but since you visit GCS you certainly will know it. no need to SMS-bait, ok?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TTS View Post

I preferred mine to stay low like yours. However, mine really grow tall fast which I do not like. Now thinking of cutting the leaves off once it hit the surface.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cut them before they reach the surface, as some one earlier mentioned. otherwise the plant knows where the surface is and will keep trying.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    seriously hwchoy, what or where is SBG lake? I'm just curious.
    "I grow old, I grow old. I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are two main lakes in SBG. one off the main entrance, the other called Symphony Lake where the shell-shaped stage is. its at the bottom of Palm Valley. If you are looking for waterlilies, go to Symphony Lake.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry if my sentences lean to the side of curt. it was a simple answer that meant nothing more. it has nothing to do with my moderatordom.

SBG is an abbreviation, perhaps a little less well known but since you visit GCS you certainly will know it. no need to SMS-bait, ok?
    My bad. No worries. We're cool. I haven't heard of the abbreviation. SPG maybe. (Haven't seen anyone using that on green culture either.)
    AquaticRemainder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast