Country
    Singapore

Difficulty growing glossos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Bro Blue33 was talking about my Glosso and Jap HG. Heres a picture of my Glosso, Its not doing so well but the HG is doing ok i think.

My tank is 60Wx40Dx50Tall in cm. Lights is 4 tubes of 24w 10k.

Any advice? im about to give up on the glossos... 2nd attempt still fail.
    -LM-
    Newbie in this exciting hobby

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks ok to me what is wrong with your glosso?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    looks ok to me what is wrong with your glosso?
    He was mentioning that his glosso growing upwards instead of creeping! And i was telling him glosso are pretty easy to grow, to me! They need strong light, if your tank is too shallow then your glosso will not grow well, all grow upwards, slightly more nitrate and they grow crazy! One thing i noted is hairgrass dont like strong light, so if you grow glosso in strong light, your hairgrass most likely will be affected. Below picture shown, on the foreground, right is glosso, on the left is Jap hairgrass(not so vibrant green), you know what i mean?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you notice some of the glosso is growing upwards! Usually is lighting problem. So you are growing 2 kind of foreground plant like me. Lord of the Rings, The Two Tower.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Jap hairgrass is like decor only... not meant to be foreground plant. its like to accompany the rock walls.
    -LM-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    more light will do ... glosso grow faster in soil like substrate like ADA soil.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm.. i dunno but I think you have around 3-3.2w/g which I think is enough for glosso? And your substrate is quite standard for growing glosso from what I have seen others do.

do you cool your water? and how long do you on your lights per day?
    I do not grow glosso but I think I would look at these settings also.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by argonmt View Post
    more light will do ... glosso grow faster in soil like substrate like ADA soil.
    Ya mine grows on ADA soil and they are creeping like nobody business. The only problem I have is the staghorn that grows on some of the leaves. I threw away a lot after weeding those with staghorn.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for inputs!

Today i saw a few glossos creeping. Thats good news for me. But also discovered some of the leaves got holes. Must be the yamatos chewing on them. now that the tank is 99% cleaned from algaes they must be feeding on vegies!

I guess i have to be slightly more patience, still doing the pushing in of the glossos that grew vertically. i hope i have better results in a few days. will update you guys with pics soon.

Cheers!
    -LM-

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Patience is one thing many of us never have enough of. A little time and patience and nature will take its course Good luck
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luncheonMeat View Post
    Thanks all for inputs!

Today i saw a few glossos creeping. Thats good news for me. But also discovered some of the leaves got holes. Must be the yamatos chewing on them. now that the tank is 99% cleaned from algaes they must be feeding on vegies!

I guess i have to be slightly more patience, still doing the pushing in of the glossos that grew vertically. i hope i have better results in a few days. will update you guys with pics soon.

Cheers!
    you can try cut them, it will force them to grow side shoot (I never try this though ). Another way is using tooth pick bend it until look like inverted 'V' (^) and use it to pin down the glosso. I'm curently using stainless steal wire instead of tooth pick, re-useable once glosso crep
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luncheonMeat View Post
    Thanks all for inputs!

Cheers!
    holes? ohh.. ok if the yamatos are chewing on them then is fine. I thought it might be nutrient deficency.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I normally observed the holes on the old leaves.. which I normally done care about it .. because i knew new leaf can spawn like mad..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just bought and started to plant glosso last Sunday. My glosso growing upwards too. Guess is the lighting issue, it is not strong enough. Anyway, this is the first time I am trying this plant. I will monitor.
    Last edited by AnA; 1st Oct 2008 at 08:32.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read in a magazine to plant glosso at an angle instead of straight down. This may help it start to creep. I do not have glosso and hence cannot verify. Try it out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I had planted all my glosso by slighting into the substrate. But, it still grows upwards. I may try cutting them to force them to spread. Anyway, I am sure the lighting is not strong enough. My tank height is 2 ft. Maybe not suitable for glosso unless I have stronger lighting.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AnA View Post
    Yes, I had planted all my glosso by slighting into the substrate. But, it still grows upwards. I may try cutting them to force them to spread. Anyway, I am sure the lighting is not strong enough. My tank height is 2 ft. Maybe not suitable for glosso unless I have stronger lighting.
    Lighting problem! Even you cut and plant again you'll get the same result, growing upwards.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw some Glossos creeping, but still not the best results. I guess just have to wait it out.
    -LM-