Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to trim Eusteralis Stellata

Feedback Score

How to trim Eusteralis Stellata

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Time to trim my eusteralis stellata, what's the right way to do it?

With other stem plants, usually uproot and cut the bottoms off and replant the tops.

But in AquaJournal, Amano says that for e.stellata, one should just cut off the upper portion and leave the planted portion so that the roots are not disturbed. I noticed that Budak (whom I got the plant from) does this as well.

But in another thread, timebomb suggests that we should treat this like other stem plants, ie. cut off the bottoms and replant the tops.

If we do it the Amano/Budak way, how close to the bomttom can I cut? Afraid that if the cut is too low, the plant won't survive.

Oh yeah, will be giving away either the tops or bottoms if anyone wants them. Will do the trimming this weekend, so just PM me.

thanks!

eggz

Feedback Score
    I usually trim the tops and replant them with my E. stellata. My plants are the focus of a 48" tank so I want large stems and robust growth that I can place in specific terraces.

Topping and keeping the bottom stems planted is a good way of growing more plants if you have a few stems. I've found that this method isn't the best way of getting attractive crown foliage though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u have a driftwood or a plant infront of it, u should cut just below the line of sight.. this way u achieve the bushy effect and still hide the unsightly branching off

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    unless you want a bush, pull it up
    e. stellata tends to grow multiple shoots from the cut ends
    some people don't like that because light can't get through to the bottom leaves

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do a mix. Cut the tops and let the bottom regrow. After about 3 or 4 cuttings, the branching gets ugly. At that point, uproot the bottoms and replant the tops.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eggz,

I do it in cycles. As long as the bottom part of the stem is not looking stringy, I will just cut the top and leave the bottom to develop side shoots. After a while, when you see the bottom stem getting bare and thin, it's probably exhausted and the top cutting used instead.

Doesn't really matter where you cut it - I do it just to sculpt the plants. But sometimes if I see a stem which has developed multiple side shoots, I prefer to cut about 5 cm below the part where the side shoots begin and replant this cutting, since it's growth is very promising.

Feedback Score
    The two methods you describe for trimming Eustralis are both valid. I grow alot and what normally happens is that I trim the tops off as many times as I think the stem can handle it.
    At some point the foliage on the plantt will be unable to support the growth of the stem. What will happen at this point is that the stem will melt. This would be the time to replant the tops. You question the wisdom of cutting the stem low. I have done this in the past with healthy plants to achieve a specific effect. You are looking at growing sort of a bush low in the tank when you do this.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I decided to uproot and plant the tops as I don't really have space for too many side shoots, and there are enough stalks to keep the bushy look.

eggz