Country
    Singapore

Help:Green Hair Aglae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Can anyone advise me what is the main cause of green hair aglae? Currently i'm having this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    High nitrate level, read up on other threads on removing them, BGA is the common term for them. Also, you should share you tank parameters with us, I have just conquered it just today using chlorox solution for some tough plants and H2O2 to clear those on the wall.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    High nitrate level, read up on other threads on removing them, BGA is the common term for them. Also, you should share you tank parameters with us, I have just conquered it just today using chlorox solution for some tough plants and H2O2 to clear those on the wall.
    Hi Jungle,

Thanks for the advise, currently my nitrate level is ok. Is the chlorox solution safe for CRS in my tank? I had the intention to add one Erythromycin contain 250mg into my 422 tank, but i'm not too sure it is safe to used it with CRS in my tank or not? Can anyone advise?

Regards,
    Zijie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Firstly, your nitrate and ammonia will read zero, as the BGA will absorb it all.

Secondly, you CANNOT add the chlorox solution into the tank. You have to remove the plants first and add it into a bucket with chlorox solution, say a cap to about 10 litres of water for 10 minutes. I went to 15 minutes as I dealing with bolbitis and needle java fern, so they could take the longer duration. Then you have to remove the solution and add in new water and alot of anti-chlorine in, leave it for 45 minutes, wash the plants thoroughly to remove any chlorine.

As for mosses, I reccommend using Azoo anti-algae solution. remove the mosses first and repeat the same process as per normal like with the chlorox solution, but soak it for no more than 10 minutes. You might experience some loss with the mosses, but I also find any shorter time tends to have little effect on the BGA.

Troubled spots in the tank, scrape the BGA away or use H202 with a syringe to clean.

Lastly, do a blackout for 2 days. Works wonders. Also I also cleared my aquaclay soil to remove any possible debris that could lead to nitrate or ammonia increase.

Do a water change too and use zeolite and Seachem Prime to keep your ammonia at bay, since there is no BGA left to tackle any increase.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Send a bunch of Malayan and Amano shrimp, and it will be gone in no time.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    Firstly, your nitrate and ammonia will read zero, as the BGA will absorb it all.

Secondly, you CANNOT add the chlorox solution into the tank. You have to remove the plants first and add it into a bucket with chlorox solution, say a cap to about 10 litres of water for 10 minutes. I went to 15 minutes as I dealing with bolbitis and needle java fern, so they could take the longer duration. Then you have to remove the solution and add in new water and alot of anti-chlorine in, leave it for 45 minutes, wash the plants thoroughly to remove any chlorine.

As for mosses, I reccommend using Azoo anti-algae solution. remove the mosses first and repeat the same process as per normal like with the chlorox solution, but soak it for no more than 10 minutes. You might experience some loss with the mosses, but I also find any shorter time tends to have little effect on the BGA.

Troubled spots in the tank, scrape the BGA away or use H202 with a syringe to clean.

Lastly, do a blackout for 2 days. Works wonders. Also I also cleared my aquaclay soil to remove any possible debris that could lead to nitrate or ammonia increase.

Do a water change too and use zeolite and Seachem Prime to keep your ammonia at bay, since there is no BGA left to tackle any increase.
    Hi Jungle,

Thanks for the advise, just brought the AZOO aglae treated yesterday night, now soaking some of my plants in a container since last night.

After encounting so many problem on my current set-up, i'm going to removes all the plants for treatments.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Send a bunch of Malayan and Amano shrimp, and it will be gone in no time.
    Hi blue,

Currently having CRS and berries in my tank, i had no intention send those shrimp. Thanks for the advise brother.

Regards,
    Zijie

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Season View Post
    Hi blue,

Currently having CRS and berries in my tank, i had no intention send those shrimp. Thanks for the advise brother.

Regards,
    Zijie
    No problem! Do Amano/Malayan shrimp eat CRS?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    No picture no clue ?? since when green hair algae = BGA ?

I have done threads on both these 2 algaes, u might want to google it here on AQ.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys, currently i had clear most of my green hair aglae after dosing the Azoo aglae treatment. Since when GHA=GBA? Anyway i got both of this aglae in my tank, the BGA are all gone now.

Thanks for everyone help.