Feedback Score
    Country
    Slovenia

Lightbulb And now a fourth neon!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    In lates october issue of T.F.H. magazine is very interesting article from well known aqua-fanatic Heiko Bleher, who discovered already in year 2006 new species of neon tetra near very remote giant Lake Uauacu, located in the southern Solimoes region in Amazonia. It is very similar at first glance to P. innesi, but there are subtle differences; the new neon has much brighter red, which extends around the caudal peduncle, into the tail, and in arrow form into the front of its lower body. Its neon stripe ends at the adipose. The D is smaller (10 - 11 rays vs. 12 - 13), as is the A (19 - 21 vs. 24 rays). Its eyes are also large, which is surely an adaptation to the dark jungle creek habitat. P. innesi is only found more than 1000 km (621 miles) further west.
    Heiko Bleher bring these fishes to famous French ichthyolog Jayques Gerry to describe it, sadly Jacques became ill, so before his death, he had arranged for a co-author to finsih it. Unfortunately, this co-author also suffered a stroke, but he has recenty recoverd, so the scientific work should be completed soon. In the meantime, A. Meyer has done DNA sequencing on all 4 species - the results shows that there are 2 lineages, one including Paracheirodon axlerodi and P. simulans, and the other P. innesi and the new species, Paracheirodon sp. .
    Only 3 live specimes were presumably brouht to top German breeders in aim to breed it for all of us

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Bojan, can't wait for the new neon! good to see you here.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have actually read the articles sometime ago, the whole series on the four neons. For those who haven't seen it, have a read, there are really interesting stories from Heiko.

Thanks Bojan for highlighting this. On the fourth neon, if I remember correctly, these are different from other neons, in the sense that they don't school in large numbers, so they may be kept in small numbers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Are there images in the TFH article guys? Looking forward to reading more about this too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes, Matt, there's a picture in there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i remember reading this series of articles before too...i can't remember where though