Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: IGNORANT

Feedback Score

IGNORANT

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    One Saturday, i bought a 4.5 gallons tank.... i knew nothing about cycling of the tank or ph level.... i still don't know much now....[:] all i knew was that i have to stand tap water for 24 hrs and i need a pump for air...
    now, i have 12 small fishes (max~ 4.5cm) 9 neon tetras and 4 small shrimps.... i also have plants that are tied on wood, small gravel and shell on the bottom and a very small filter....
    is my tank too crowded? or isit ok?
    some of my fishes have developed white spots, but after the white spots medication, they seem to have gotten better...
    do i have to quarantine fishes who only have 1 small white spot? or can i leave them in the tank and add medication into the whole tank?
    how can i prevent my fishes from getting sick? getting white spots?
    isit good to put salt into the water?
    i have 5 Penguin tetras, the other fishes i haven't yet identified
    i would greatly appreciate any advice on how to upkeep my tank and how to keep my fishes healthy as i'm so ignorant about it....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    i'm a murderer[] [] i just killed my platy which had just recovered from white spots[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi shiki

sorry to hear of your platy and dont be discouraged....every aquarist will go through what you did the very first time round.

the white spot that are appearing on your fish is due to the fact that your water has not completed its nitrogen cycle, and your fish are been stressed and weaken..thus the white spot...this means that the biological bacteria has not formed....the purpose of bacteria is to remove harmful elements....to simply put it, fish produce wastes and this waste gets converted...

Ammonia = Ammonium = Nitrite = Nitrate

the two toxic elements are Ammonia (NH3) and Nitrite (NO2). Since you already have fish in your tank, you may want to purchase a NH3 test kit and a NO2 test kit...alternatively you may want to change 15 to 20% of your tank water every 2 days.

Adding aquarium salt will be helpful to get rid of the white spots as well as a relieve to your fish from NO2.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    shiki, sad to hear that u loss yr platy, but u shld be proud of yrself for feeling that way, many of us hobbist have lost that feeling, sad but true... dun worry or dun be discouraged, learn from mistakes as we go along...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon,
    Agree... I think it's b'cos most of us already immune to it cos happens pretty often.. have to change the mindset..... my new 'New year' resolution
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi shiki,

4.5 gallon is too small to house so many fish, if ur filter is not good i advise u to do water change on a more regular base.
    Adding salt is ok but too much will kill your plant.