Images
    Country
    Singapore

Surface Dwelling Fish for CRS setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not quite sure which sub-forum this thread should belong to, but I'm sure I dont have to worry too much about that on my own.

I am considering a surface dwelling fish as tankmates for CRS in a CRS setup... the theory is that these guys never travel down to the bottom for food... and thus my shrimplets if any would be safe...

Any comments or suggestions? I am thinking hatchetfishes but I worry about them jumping...
    Pleco and Cory Idiot Savant

L46,L66,L333,L48,L201,L134,BN,L184,L168s and others...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why don't you try Boraras brigittae?

I have 20-30 over shrimplets with about 10 of them... they do not disturb the shrimplets at all. not even one bit(e)!

how about African Butterfly Fish? they're true surface dwellers, though I'm not sure if you're willing to take the risk with your CRSs since they're pretty carnivorous.. and you'd definitely need a tank cover for them..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    African Butterfly Fish are predators. don't even think about them

shrimplet safe fish are few and far between. i'd say try boraras, but your mileage may vary. some have reported boraras to eat even apisto fry, though in my personal experience they are fry safe and have never eaten my shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    African Butterfly fish will swim to the bottom once the lights are off and will gulp down anything that fits in their mouth - and it's quite a large one! I've had a few over the years and remember my first instance of seeing them dive to the deeper ends of the tank - 2.5 feet deep to chase after some of my tetras! On a side note the irony of seeing these fish swim under water reminds me of birds flapping their wings underwater (chasing fish) LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post

how about African Butterfly Fish? they're true surface dwellers, though I'm not sure if you're willing to take the risk with your CRSs since they're pretty carnivorous.. and you'd definitely need a tank cover for them..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hatchet fish
    clown killies
    endlers
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ZANE View Post
    African Butterfly fish will swim to the bottom once the lights are off and will gulp down anything that fits in their mouth - and it's quite a large one! I've had a few over the years and remember my first instance of seeing them dive to the deeper ends of the tank - 2.5 feet deep to chase after some of my tetras! On a side note the irony of seeing these fish swim under water reminds me of birds flapping their wings underwater (chasing fish) LOL.
    that's interesting. i should youtube them... quite curious to see how they dive...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    halfbeaks.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Interesting... I know clown killies go down pretty deep at times and can be a terror in shrimp tanks... I have never seen hatchet fishes go deep although their tendency to jump would be a big problem for me...

Now I have never considered halfbeaks... Do they ever swim to the bottom? Note that this will be for a 1.5ft cube, a pretty tall tank and the CRS tankmates will reside predominantly at the bottom...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've seen hatchet fishes go down frequently. they also seem to pose more of a threat to apisto fries and thus probably shrimplets too (as viewed by my apisto female) than sparkling gouramis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guess I should stick to Zebra Otos at the end of the day...

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    HAHAHA! African Butterfly Fish! They look innocence indeed. But they eat eat eat fishes. Love guppy and tetra till no end.

Btw, I am good with Hatchet fishes. I strongly recommend that. Try to buy the marbled hatchet or black wing hatchet. They stay small and easy once they acclimatize. If a hatchet fish goes down for food frequently, it means the fish is very stable and congratz!...
    Last edited by barmby; 9th Oct 2008 at 09:10. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess I will just stick to zebra otos for now... My new shrimp setup will not be the recommended shrimp setup for mass breeding (i.e. moss only), so I hope to keep what shrimplets I get alive...

Now I note from my last purchase of Zebra Otos that their pattens vary a fair bit... So I guess I'll choose and pick those with more exotic patterns...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    My normal oto sometime can be quite aggressive, rush from one side to another side, quite disturbing when shrimplets just around him.