Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ID Fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can someone help me id this fish? sorry for the blur shots... still got a lot to learn.
    Thanks!

Here are some other fishes i have.

Last edited by Wackytpt; 4th Oct 2008 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Golden Tetras
    2. Zebra danios
    3. Cardinal
    4. Harlque Rasboras

PS: I have move this thread to the correct sub forum.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Noted and thanks for the trouble and response!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 01:16. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    (2) is actually aquarium-trade modified long-fin variant of zebra danio Danio rerio.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    #1 is imported into the UK as "platinum tetra" and I think it's a different species to H. rodwayi which is the one we get as "golden tetra"?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its hard to tell #1 because of the weird lighting but I too think it is the "platinum" tetra which is supposedly the parasitised version of H. rodwayi.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy

Just curious. What do you mean by "parasitised"?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    hwchoy

Just curious. What do you mean by "parasitised"?
    probably means HYBRIDED. Observe a little....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the "platinum" on these fishes are actually guanine produced by the fish in respond to parasites. thiis has been discussed for quite a long time already but I am unsure if this is now considered 100% factual or still subject to debate. it is certain however that the "platinum" versions are not different species.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    probably means HYBRIDED. Observe a little....
    no lah, how you managed to relate parasite with hybrids? besides the word is hybridise. actually there is no such word as "parasitise"
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 01:17. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    no lah, how you managed to relate parasite with hybrids? besides the word is hybridise. actually there is no such word as "parasitise"
    Simple logic --hybrids = whims of man
    'parasitised' = whims of man created for commercial value in contradiction to Mother Nature
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 01:17. Reason: Formatting

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very cheem. however there are speculations on how such fishes in the trade are produced. but whatever those methods may be, hybridising is not one of them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aiya. I thought you used that word only to show contempt for the fish not produced naturally.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 01:18. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my contempts are for that long fin zebra danio.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    These fishes have been around for so long already.

My contempts are for those making fat money from these fishes and those who buy them.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Oct 2008 at 01:18. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't have a problem with those buying them as most have no idea these fishes are "artificial", just like the fancy guppies. plus, I should say that these are not hybrids, just selectively bred strains.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the "platinum" on these fishes are actually guanine produced by the fish in respond to parasites. thiis has been discussed for quite a long time already but I am unsure if this is now considered 100% factual or still subject to debate. it is certain however that the "platinum" versions are not different species.
    I see. Thanks. But are the parasites introduced on purpose for the "creating" a new "hybrid" or naturally occurring?

On another point which you mentioned. Are the long-fin zebra danios "created" through selectively breeding? If so, how different is it from a more colourful guppy or a triple-red caca (apologies if the triple red is naturally occurring)? It seems wild caught specimens tend to be less brilliantly coloured compared to bred ones. Is the reason not selective breeding?

I just noticed that while I was typing, the subject of selective breeding of the colourful guppy has been raised.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't have a problem with those buying them as most have no idea these fishes are "artificial", just like the fancy guppies. plus, I should say that these are not hybrids, just selectively bred strains.
    But they don't produce 100% success rate good enough for the market with these selectively bred strains right? even using tried techniques. They will also be trying for newer strains with that kind of demand.

I shun all these 'artificial' guppies, discus, african cichlids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    I see. Thanks. But are the parasites introduced on purpose for the "creating" a new "hybrid" or naturally occurring?

On another point which you mentioned. Are the long-fin zebra danios "created" through selectively breeding? If so, how different is it from a more colourful guppy or a triple-red caca (apologies if the triple red is naturally occurring)? It seems wild caught specimens tend to be less brilliantly coloured compared to bred ones. Is the reason not selective breeding?

I just noticed that while I was typing, the subject of selective breeding of the colourful guppy has been raised.

as I mentioned, it is speculative how the large amount of "platinum" tetras (and there are several different kinds) are created in the trade. do note that these are not hybrids.

long-fin zebra, fancy guppies, even various strains of discus and malayan bonytongues (arowana) are all results of selective breeding. just like how we make D24 durians and extra big oranges, etc. they are not hybrids because the crosses are done within the species. you take a zebra with slightly longer fin, and cross it with another zebra with slightly longer fin, and their offsprings would usually have longer fins. you do this many iterations and you get a new strain with the trait you desire.

I don't keep fancy guppies for that matter, perferring the longkang guppies as they are what the wild ancestors actually look like.

whether you should go for wild-looking fish (most wilds are more brilliant then captive, they may lose their natural brilliant due to diet, stress, etc) or fancy finnage is up to your personal taste. for me, keeping fishes is not just how good they look, but the fascination of them and their natural history (i.e. where they lived and how they came about to be there, etc). thus sometimes people wonder what's the big interest in small longkang colourless fishes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW your fourth fish Trigonostigma heteromorpha is a native fish to Singapore. that is they occur in Singapore naturally and have lived here for aeons. and if you had seen the wild ones you would not want to buy any of those aquarium ones!

however I would remind all here that it is illegal to remove flora and fauna from the protected nature areas.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would the correct term be "variety" then? As a layman and using terms that are not entirely accurate, the term "hybrid" is often used for something that is different, as in a hybrid financial instrument.

Are wild caughts more brilliant? I had noticed from photos of some wild specimens on AQ that they tend to be duller?

I must admit I am less aware of what is selective bred and what is not and therefore do not or have not steered clear of buying them. Dyed fish however is lots more obvious. I see from the tag below your nick your stand on dyed fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast