Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do my malayan shrimps keep dying?

Feedback Score

Why do my malayan shrimps keep dying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all.

Everyday about 4-5 of my malayan shrimps die. Other fish are okay. They just turn red and die.

What's the reason? Are they cooked? My water temp is 26degrees.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tank still cycling? If it is..check for ammonia and nitrite.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    excess Co2?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    i have the same problem man , only thing is its my TIGER shrimp that are dying (1 dollar a piece!) my tiger kept dying 1 piece a day
    malayan shrimp no casulties so far(i think) but can't seem to find more than 5 (abt 25 in my planted tank) in a row. 1 thing too , i found a tiger shrimp with a long thingy sticking out of its tail. is that how shrimps um... excrete ?

if your tank isn't cycled probably , that would be the cause of their deaths. if u introduce too many fish at 1 time , that would kill them too. i always only introduce 6 fishes at a time
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)

Feedback Score
    Check the temperature of your tank. Anything higher than 30 degress would be bad news for shrimps, especially amano shrimps. The ideal, as far as achievable in Singapore with a fan is 27 - 28 degress.

This is from first hand experience, i.e. my amano died within 30 mins of release into my tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This is my experience.

Tried malayan, yamato (or amano as mentioned earlier) and cherry shrimps. fatality rate 100% within 2 weeks max. pattern of dying was similar everytime, a few everyday until no more seen. but usually no casulties on the first day (not as drastic as within 30 minutes definitely)

I was advised that temperature was an issue. but now my tank is at 26-27 degrees due to fan, but shrimps continue to die. so for my case at least, can't be temp.

Was also advised that nitrite or nitrate is another issue. normally shrimps are VERY sensitive to high levels of nitrite/nitrate. I've never ever tested my tank for them, but I've been running my tank for close to 1 year already and no fish deaths due to ammonia poisoning. I believe that my nitrite/nitrate levels should be very low. However, I was also told that fish generally have a stronger tolerance for nitrite than shrimps. To be frank, if nitrite/nitrate REALLY is the culprit, I really don't what else I can do to improve the situation. Already running a Eheim 2026 on my 2.5 ft tank, so I believe more than sufficient filter media to grow my nitriying (spelling?) bacteria. sigh...[]

anyway, had a small surprise when I trimmed my plants today. saw 2 (out of close to 50 which I bought) malayan shrimps hiding between my plants. I suppose this must be the survival of the fittest. Whatever killed the rest didn't kill these 2. hee hee...evolution in the making. Mutant shrimp on its way...

Cheers
    Boon Yong
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    I also have the same ex i bought 50 malayan prawns every morning theres always a dead shirmp lying somewhere.[] until they all gone. then one day when i clean my filter some of them are inside which some of them are still alive. i think they manage to go in the filter via my skimmer. then when i put them back to the tank a few days all finished. []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Overheard from a LFS owner who has his own planted tanks, that pH is a factor. What are your pH?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I wonder whether hydrogen sulphide might be a culprit for unexplained deaths.

eg: people with gas coming out of substrate or black regions, might be leaking the gas out.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it's Yamato and not amano shrimps. Sorry about the recurring mistake.

Cheers,
    Roy

I had the same shrimp dying problem too... After my week long vacation, I came back to a tank full of dead tiger/bees and Yamatos. While I didn't check for my NO2 and NO3 levels, I am pretty sure they were at acceptable levels. My Yamatos have survived even worse conditions before (100+mg/l NO3 once when I was away for 3 weeks). Anyway, I have replaced them with cheaper Malayan and they are dying about 1 to 3 a day. I suspect it is due to their short life span but then could also be due to the circumstances that killed my original lot of shrimps.

By the way, it also seems that the tap water parameters have changed in my block of flats (Holland V area). Used to be soft to be point of 0kh and around ph 7. Now it is ph 8 and I have yet to test its kh. It could well be the higher ph has made what little NH3/NH4 in the tank toxic for the shrimps too.

I had the same problem before. I don't know what is the cause, but I suspect it's the level of O2 or the nitrites.
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7168/Bleeder4.jpg

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance :: Carl Sandburg

Feedback Score
    Thanx for everyone's replies!

I did a test and found my pH to be 6.4 and kH to be 2.0.

I plan to reduce my bps to about 2 and add in some KH up powder from NA. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe people are too concern with water chemistry that cause the death of these pretty tiny shrimp?[]
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not sure about all these chemistry thingy....

I dun bother with the levels of anything at all, no tests, no checks (except for a ammonia detector) And my shrimp death rate has been very low.... only when they are newly introduced and have not adapted to the waters, then they have a higher death rate......

I have kept them in acidic conditions, alkaline conditions and also neutral conditions... all are ok... temp. range from 28° to 31°... room temp. no fans, no coolers.... only heat source comes from the internal filter and the PL lights...

So in my opinion, your acclimitisation is very important. Allowing them to get used to another different pH and temp will keep the death rates as low as possible... Also try not to keep any fishes that may attack them when they moult (the most vulnerable time for any shrimps, skin is thinnest and easiest to get killed)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    amano shrimp and yamato shrimp are the same

anyway, deaths from fish is quite possible
    i had swordtails attack malayans and yamatoes for FUN

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have noticed that my malayan shrimps dies off 1 by 1 lately too. can it be due to low temps? my tank temp ranges from 24- 26 usually (air-com room).

Didnt have the problem when the temp of the tank was at about 28-29.

Yamatoes just keeps on doing about its business. In my opinion , the yamato is a much more hardy shrimp to keep.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/2/2003 9:21:15 AM

I have noticed that my malayan shrimps dies off 1 by 1 lately too. can it be due to low temps? my tank temp ranges from 24- 26 usually (air-com room).

Didnt have the problem when the temp of the tank was at about 28-29.

Yamatoes just keeps on doing about its business. In my opinion , the yamato is a much more hardy shrimp to keep.
    ----------------
    Probably due to the fact that the LFS has already acclimitised it to our local weather. Thus if you lower the temp, it may be harder for it to get acclimitised....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    My malayan shrimps are still dying about 2-3 a day. I'm still really baffled as to why. My pH & kH is all fine.

i might becos of low O2 level.
    A few of my shirmps die yesterday becos forgot to turn on air pump in the night. Other night was ok, I have then for 2 weeks already
    Try to increase the O2 level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast