Country
    Singapore

algae eater for low pH tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I have a small tank of pH of around 4 to 4.5, could anyone suggest any suitable small size algae eater (in particular, brown algae although if you have suggestion of suitable fauna for controlling other types of algae, do recommend too) for such low pH conditions?

I used to rely on nerite snails which have done a fantastic job but since someone warned me of the adversed effects of acidicity conditions on the shell of the snails, I have removed them. Will low pH have adversed effects on the shell of the algae eating shrimps too?

Another small size algae eater I liked is Otocinclus but a search through the internet did not reveal that Otocinclus is suitable for such low pH (most websites stated pH of beween 5.5 to .

Many thanks.

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pH of 5 is still good for it, 4.5 for a low pH tank is really low, are you keeping crypts?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a few low pH tanks in fact, a larger one for keeping emersed cryptocoryne, a small one for keeping semi-submersed cryptocoryne and a small one for rearing some Parosphromenus rubrimontis with chocolate gouramis and Boraras maculatus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No suggestions? Looks like this will be a inherent problem for a low pH tank......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumbomb View Post
    No suggestions? Looks like this will be a inherent problem for a low pH tank......
    Believe you were refering to my post on low PH affecting corrosion of nerite snails shells.

Its either try a no algae setup, which is possible or ottos, but you have to deal with the high mortality rate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice info...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United Kingdom
    I not an expert on crypts, so I'm not sure if it is intentional that your Ph is so low - if it is not then you could add a handful of coral gravel to the tank (preferable in with the filter media) this should raise the Ph for you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I intentionally lowered the pH to < 4.5 to keep some of the more uncommon cryptocorynes found in acidic swampy areas in the nature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok, I have bought an oto and intoduced it into my low pH tanks for about 1 week already. So far so good, the oto has helped to clear all the brown algae in one tank and is now helping out in the other, I think I found my answer......