Images
    Country
    Singapore

ways to battle with GSA?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    been getting some irritating GSA on my tank walls, is it the lack of phosphate and nitrate in my tank that cause this problem as i read up some of the info on GSA.

If this is the case, any fertilizers that someone can recommend me to balance up the nutrient in my tank? thought of seachem nitrogen and prosphrus

pls advise. thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    GSA is normally due to low phosphate (KH2PO4) levels in the tank. Increasing the phosphate levels slightly will help reduce the chance of GSA to appear.

Also, reduce your lighting if its on the high side.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Moomoo28,
    In the mean time, some maintenance with a plastic card like credit card to remove it + WC.
    It will not go away because you put more phosphate.

The beginning of GSA is when you can feel bumps inside of tank glass wall. It's still transparent and not easy to see. If you sweep with your fingers it can still come off at this point. Something to do every week before WC.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Hi Moomoo28,
    In the mean time, some maintenance with a plastic card like credit card to remove it + WC.
    It will not go away because you put more phosphate.

The beginning of GSA is when you can feel bumps inside of tank glass wall. It's still transparent and not easy to see. If you sweep with your fingers it can still come off at this point. Something to do every week before WC.
    currently they will still come off with credit card, but some parts at the side quite hard, i only managed to scrub them off with razor blade. now i doing 30 percent wc almost every 2 weeks, is it too much?

Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox View Post
    GSA is normally due to low phosphate (KH2PO4) levels in the tank. Increasing the phosphate levels slightly will help reduce the chance of GSA to appear.

Also, reduce your lighting if its on the high side.
    ok, will try to increase my phosphate level slightly, thanks for the info guys, appreciate it very much

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I WC every week 50%, anti-chlorine solution follow by tap water straight to the tank. 2 weeks is too long. Actually everyday 10% is the best, too lazy to do everyday.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, 50 percent weekly. ok, i will try to do wc weekly too, but is 50 % wc too much for me if i'm having some shrimps in my tank, approx. 10-15 cherries. scare they up lorry.

tap water straight, i still don't dare to try. i always age water at least 2 days then add in, abit kiasi, more is scare my fish will Si

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    My Sakura gave birth even i do 50% WC, my water is super clear. Btw i've 10+++ Yamato and some Malayan inside also.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    For hard to reach corners, you can use a hard toothbrush. This is useful when you don't want to damage the aquarium silicone.
    i do 30% WC weekly. [more if I missed-sometimes 200%] The bigger the tank, less WC.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    My Sakura gave birth even i do 50% WC, my water is super clear. Btw i've 10+++ Yamato and some Malayan inside also.
    ok, i will try to increase wc to weekly now ya, i saw your tank blue its so nice !

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    For hard to reach corners, you can use a hard toothbrush. This is useful when you don't want to damage the aquarium silicone.
    i do 30% WC weekly. [more if I missed-sometimes 200%] The bigger the tank, less WC.

oo, ya, why didn't think of toothbrush haha, i still use a scrub mat on ur thumb go scrub lol, thanks for the suggestion