Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Aphanius mento "Kirgoz"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Picked up 8 of these a few weeks ago. Here is a pair of juveniles, the male is the left-hand fish. They are around 10mm in size at the moment and the male is just starting to get his adult colouration. Third pic is of one of the males that produced these so I should hopefully see some interesting changes over the next few weeks. Has anyone kept these or other Aphanius? Any experiences much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oooo I don't think we see much of these groups of fishes.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If I remember correctly, this species require cooler water? Anyway, I was finding out more about Aphanius spp. after Matt's post on the conservation project (thanks for the poison mate! ).

Seems like most species require cooler water, which isn't achievable in the Singapore weather without a chiller. So it will be really rare to see these group of fishes here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    You're right about the water to a certain extent but they are super-adaptable fish. These Turkish ones can experience 40°C in summer although I suspect it would drastically reduce their lifespan to be kept at higher temperatures for sustained periods. Here in Spain they can be kept outdoors all year round and can even survive if the water freezes over apparently although that's not a theory I intend to test!

Quixotic, no problem for the "drugs"! I have a species from a different genus here ready for your next fix...pics tomorrow hopefully.