Thread: sources for brine shrimp eggs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    lol, in that case i might drop by at your place tomorrow if u don't mind since i'm on off from duty. btw, i'm supposed to get the apple cider from NTUC right?

btw, regarding killie keepers in the region, i used to email this guy called nonn panitvong. he's an avid killie and betta keeper from thailand. wonder if ya know him.
    ---------------
    Oh yes, I know Nonn. His English name is Peter. He's my nearest fellow AKA member.

I hate mentioning brand names in public forums as I don't like the idea of advertising for free but if you are getting the apple vinegar cider, the brand is Heinz. Please call before you come. Tel: 63921969

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello mr loh, i gave u a call earlier today saying that i couldn't come. your maid picked up but someone else spoke to me. anyway, the brine shrimp eggs that i have with me haven't hatched yet and its past the 24hour mark. i'm not sure if its a problem with the tap water i used, the salt or the eggs themselves.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sorry, was sleeping when you called.

I'm not sure why your brine shrimp eggs are not hatching but it could be due to several reasons.

One, it could be the eggs are no longer good. I know Lam Hong's brine shrimp eggs are usually good though. However, maybe you were unlucky and bought a bottle that has been kept on their shelves for too long. Eggs should be kept in the vegetable compartment of a refrigerator when not in use but fish shop owners usually won't care less.

Two, it could be something to do with the salt you are using or the amount. If you are using kitchen salt, the hatch rates will be very low. Use marine or rock salt. The correct amount is one tablespoon to one litre of water. However, I've discovered that the amount is really not that important. A little bit more or less of salt and the eggs should still hatch.

Tap water shouldn't be the problem as I'm using that all the time. But come to think of it, are you living in a private house? If you are, chances are that there's more chlorine in your water. I live on the 8th storey of a HDB flat and as far as I know, if your tap water comes from the tank on the roof the block, there's no more chlorine. Chlorine evaporates and it will be all gone by the time the water reaches your tap. Things could be different for those living on lower floors or private houses.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hrm, i was using the aquarium salt from Ocean Free. the instructions on the bag said 4 spoonfuls per litre of water to hatch brine shrimps. there was a prepared spoon in the packet though. the rest of eggs are still in the fridge.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hrm, i was using the aquarium salt from Ocean Free. the instructions on the bag said 4 spoonfuls per litre of water to hatch brine shrimps. there was a prepared spoon in the packet though. the rest of eggs are still in the fridge.
    ----------------
    At the risk of getting sued, I must say I *hate* all Ocean Free products. However, if it's just salt, there shouldn't be much of a difference between Ocean Free and the other brands in the market.

Are you sure the eggs haven't hatched? If you have never seen live baby brine shrimps before, it could be you missed them altogether. Turn off the aeration and hold the bottle up against a light. You should see small tiny creatures making jerking movements. If you don't see a single shrimp at all, chances are the eggs are no longer good as it's very unlikely that not a single egg hatched. A little more or less salt, even with the wrong salt, some eggs should still hatch.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i can only spot two nauplii swimmin around. but the rest of eggs have floated up and turned a lighter colour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12