Images
    Country
    Singapore

Power LED, brightest so far

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I came across a shop in Sim Lim selling the Power LED. It is one of the brightest I have seen so far. Heard from the shop owner he had ever used this kind of power LED and design a lighting set for someone's marine tank. For that lighting set, he had used 4 white colour and 2 blue for using such LEDs.

Personally, I find it very very bright; you cannot look at the LED itself at all when turn ON; it will blind you for sure.

Out of curiously, I bought one to try and indeed it is very bright. I had tried it in my 4ft tank with 2ft depth but it does not seem bright enough on actual usage. The light penetration is good but too focus. Likely we need a light diffuser or something to spread out the light. For a 4ftx2x2, it may need at least 4 to 6 of such power LEDs to have good coverage. Anyone had tried such LED? If not, something to explore... enjoys!

The power LED and a 10w resistor.

Flip over is the LED's heatsink.
    Last edited by AnA; 14th Oct 2008 at 17:42. Reason: Add photos
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what is the power supply requirement? 12v 1.05/2.1a?
    have you tried to powering it up for a period of time? i believe the rear heatsink will become very hot.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The power required is from 6 to 10.5v. You could drive it with 12v with resistor. Current is 1.05A.

This kind of power LED needs extra heatsink. It gets hot within seconds. Below was the picture of the sample set I had taken from the shop.

Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool

I saw it too...almost wanted to buy....then on second thought...if our eyes cannot take it....will the fauna able to handle this brightness?

I wanted to use it for my 1.5ft tank. One should be enough. But I think, if there is some kind of anti-glare material, then I will be less worried about the fauna being blinded.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree, I am also looking for the anti-glare material. Maybe 3M got those? V-Kool maybe? Have to do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by cylap888 View Post
    I saw it too...almost wanted to buy....then on second thought...if our eyes cannot take it....will the fauna able to handle this brightness?

I wanted to use it for my 1.5ft tank. One should be enough. But I think, if there is some kind of anti-glare material, then I will be less worried about the fauna being blinded.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another even more powerful one as below. Notice the number of LED embedded in the single housing. This one is 20 emitting elements as compare to my previous one only 9 emitting elements. The blue colour metal behind is the temporary heatsink. I doubt such a small heatsink is enough to get away the heat generated by this Power LED.

Anyway, this set just came in and the shop owner have not confirm the pricing. He said could be around $200 plus.

Last edited by AnA; 18th Oct 2008 at 17:16.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looking at this link. Some already using High Power LED on the streets and home. I think it is a matter of 3 to 5 years; we will be using it too in our home and of course our aquarium.
    Last edited by AnA; 17th Oct 2008 at 07:51.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can share which shop in Sim Lim Tower??
    Thks,
    Delwin.
    My HighLand Terrarium, planting carnivorous plants and orchids

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    care to measure the dimension of those individual light emitting elements? is it 1x1mm? if the dimensions are around those figure, chances are that your 9x9 element module produces about close to 900 lumens.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, for those interested. The shop info as below. It is at one corner and beside the staircase.

Continental Electronic Enterprise; #B1-25; Tel: 62922032

Quote Originally Posted by Delwin View Post
    Can share which shop in Sim Lim Tower??
    Thks,
    Delwin.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I did a measurement, the individual light emitting element is 1x1mm. Total it has 9 of such elements. 900 lumen consider good? How much lumen is a T5 54w 6500k? Please advise if possible. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy View Post
    care to measure the dimension of those individual light emitting elements? is it 1x1mm? if the dimensions are around those figure, chances are that your 9x9 element module produces about close to 900 lumens.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    After a simple test, as I only has one of such power LED for testing; yet the light peneration seem pretty good. You needs about 3 of such power to a T5 54w tube to product the same coverage and light intensity. This number is our wild guess but should be close judging from single LED.

We did a mesurement, the current drawn is about 0.65A at 10v across the LED. Hope this info is useful for those whom intend to try. For me, I will wait for the price to drop further first before considering.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    osram 54w t5 ho output is about 4050 lumens.

at about 100 lumens per element (led), the output is very good for a commercially available device. however, this is just my guess. proper measurement is needed to determine the actual lumen output. and leds are normally rated at 350ma. ie. x lumens@350ma.

when driven at 700ma, the light output increases by about 85%. so it becomes less efficient. the maximum current would be 1000ma.

is the yellow lens made of a soft material?
    Last edited by tawauboy; 18th Oct 2008 at 22:15. Reason: spelling
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AnA View Post
    Ok, for those interested. The shop info as below. It is at one corner and beside the staircase.

Continental Electronic Enterprise; #B1-25; Tel: 62922032
    thank you
    My HighLand Terrarium, planting carnivorous plants and orchids

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, the yellow lens is made of soft material. When pressed, it feel like rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy View Post
    is the yellow lens made of a soft material?
    Last edited by AnA; 19th Oct 2008 at 08:02.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of the Power LED available for sale in US as shown here.

More of such street Power LED ... here

Technology of LEDs for normal application is already possible. But the price is still high. For sure LEDs will be our future lighting to be and and hope it should be affordable sooner...hoping within 5 years times?
    Last edited by AnA; 19th Oct 2008 at 08:53.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Power LED, brightest so far

Sorry to dig up this thread. Need to clarify 1 doubt.

Example for a 4 feet tank with high light demand plants like HC. How many lumens of light will be enough?

Is lumen a more accurate way of determining the amount of lights compare to WPG?

PLease advise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: Power LED, brightest so far

lumens is a measure of perceived power of light adjusted to varying sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths of light.

use wpg as a guide, not as a rule.

using a lux meter to measure the amount of light hitting the substrate will be a more accurate.
    thomas liew