Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nannostomus marginatus (tiny pencil fish)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Anyway, here is the summary from the article, the best I can make out of dodgy online translations. There is a number of information omitted as I can't make out any sense, to those who could, feel free to add on. There are also some pictures in there, and citation of the pictures available in literature.
    It will be interesting to see if some of your N. marginatus turn out to be different forms.
    Thats very helpful bro. It would be nice to see more forms of marginatus appearing here in SG.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 1st Nov 2008 at 01:53. Reason: Remove unnecessary quote
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Same fish? I named it N. marginatus for the moment.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought marginatus should have very little red in the caudal.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably not, but I am reluctant to put it as Nannostomus sp. since the trade calls it N. marginatus. Based on the information Quixotic provided, couldn't it be one of the forms of N. marginatus?

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by CK Yeo View Post
    Probably not, but I am reluctant to put it as Nannostomus sp. since the trade calls it N. marginatus. Based on the information Quixotic provided, couldn't it be one of the forms of N. marginatus?

ck
    could well be, as I have seen some variations myself. scientists normally do not put the specific epithet (in case they are proven wrong ) when they aren't sure so they willl just put "sp."
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12