Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nannostomus marginatus (tiny pencil fish)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Hong Kong

Nannostomus marginatus (tiny pencil fish)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    nannostomus marginatus (tiny pencil fish)

very small pencil fish and very cute in the glass tank
    Belongs to one of tiny pencil fish only then 2.5cm easy to raise most greatly, moreover working ability to eliminates the algae, insect, ...... , moreover is lively, can eliminate the algae, ...... it has three blue black lines in its body, futhermore, the center has a red red line, but the fish fin also catches red, and the center has a golden streak under the stability, is very beautiful, when 2 pcs met, will pursue demonstrated mutually more will attract.

apistoworld for the world
    http://www.apistoworldhk.com
    TEL : (852)-98432173
    EMAIL / MSN : [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    great looking fish! will we be seeing any of these on our shores soon?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They have been available from time to time. Check C328 or Wuhu. Cost wise, definitely cheaper than the coral red.
    There can only be ONE

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does this pencil fish attack shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how about the algae eating powers as claimed?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Although they will nibble at some algae, they are not known for their algae eating capabilities. They will not do well if used as algae eaters. In the wild, they take small crustaceans, insects and larvae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    beautiful fish...have not seen them at our shore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't think it is Nannostomus marginatus.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    should be, just that they are a bit skinny and exhibiting stress or night colours. Qian Hu has a lot but make sure you don't pay more than $2 a piece.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    market price last time they came in was up to double that amount choy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks like a good fish for a 1ft cube...
    Pleco and Cory Idiot Savant

L46,L66,L333,L48,L201,L134,BN,L184,L168s and others...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    market price last time they came in was up to double that amount choy
    could be due to the fact that the LFS bought it from the importer at red-pencil prices.

the logic is quite simple. no matter how much the pricing of the market has moved, there must still be a relative difference between the marginatus and the red-pencil. if people sell marginatus at red-pencil prices then something is seriously wrong. not least is the fact that marginatus appear to still be available in much larger quantity.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

N. marginatus is usually one of the least expensive of the wild pencil fish and definitely among if not the smallest species. They will be ill at ease unless kept in groups of 6 to 12 so always buy as many as you can. They are more heavily built for their size than N. trifasciatus which is the only pencilfish they can remotely be confused with.
    N. mortenthaleri resembles this species in shape but is far more red to purple and grows much larger aside from costing 8X as much.

N. marginatus is completely safe with Cherry shrimp or similarly small algae eating shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very nice fish, i think this time round the marginatus is different from the previous batch i got from HK. Notice the middle line on the body and the tail portion, its much more redder than the ones i got previously. i got afew pieces in my tank, really cute fishes...
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Now that you mentioned. Could it be another fish and not marginatus instead? So different!

Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Eugene for the photo-confirmation. The red line on mine is does not extend to the end. The tail lack 2 red spots. See pic below.

These are different pencils. Incidentally, they are available in C328.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes I was just starting to recollect that what we knew as N. marginatus has no red in the caudal region.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    N. marginatus has no red in the caudal region.
    Uncle, was this mentioned in the original description? I was starting to wonder what was actually mentioned in the scientific description.

I did come across an article which mentions that as the distribution is quite wide, there are some different "forms" of N. marginatus. But the common line of thought is that some of the "forms" may actually be different species pending scientific revisions, hence the quotes.

I'll see if I can summarise and provide the link later, it's in German.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that's why I said "what we knew as N. marginatus has no red in the caudal region".

I don't have the description.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hah, guess N. marginatus is the catch-all bucket for the pencils that look similar.

Anyway, here is the summary from the article, the best I can make out of dodgy online translations. There is a number of information omitted as I can't make out any sense, to those who could, feel free to add on. There are also some pictures in there, and citation of the pictures available in literature.

Denotation of stripe from top to bottom of fish = secondary, primary, tertiary (based on my interpretation).

1. Rivers of Guyana and Suriname. Primary and secondary stripe extending into caudal fin as black dashes. Narrow, overlapping red stripe at the top of primary stripe from 6th to 9th vertical row. Tinted gold colour between primary and secondary stripes. [similar to genes and CK's fishes]

2. Area of the lower Amazon in Pará, apparently also the upper Rio Branco (Roraima) [STAECK, 1998]. Red stripe overlapping primary stripe missing. Wider secondary and tertiary stripe, white on caudal fin slightly more intense. Tinted gold colour above primary stripe missing.

3. Middle and upper Rio Negro (Brazil) and upper Orinoco (Venezuela), including Rio Inirida (Colombia) [BORK, 2002]. Strong red stripe above primary stripe, extending from behind operculum till caudal peduncle. Red dashes extension of primary and secondary stripe into caudal fin, with white colour in between. [similar to Apistoworld's fish]

4. Catchment area of the upper Amazon, the Rio Putumayo in Peru (on the border with Colombia), on the Rio Napo in Ecuador to Rios Caqueta and Orteguaza in Colombia. Colours similar to previous forms, except red instead of white in caudal fin between the end of primary and secondary stripe. Overall, very rich color contrasts.

5. Guyana and Rio Ampiyacu (Peru) [BORK, 2002]. Broader stripes than the above forms. Appeared as N. marginatus "Broad Stripe".

6. Peru [HOFFMANN & HOFFMANN, 2003]. Similar to above form but colour of the underside appears yellow sulfur instead of white. Appeared as N. marginatus "Yellow".

The article is here in German, http://www.salmlernetz.de/index.php/...nostomus-forts. Have a read using Google or Babelfish translation. It is quite an interesting read, although I cannot vouch for it's reliability, there seems to be some detailed citation and pictures.

It will be interesting to see if some of your N. marginatus turn out to be different forms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast