Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: how to get rid of staghorn algae?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

how to get rid of staghorn algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i have a mini staghorn algae infection in my planted tank...

have DIY Co2, 36W of PL lighting on for about 8 hours a day with 5 hours siesta in between. Fertilisation about 2 pumps of WonderGro Macro+ every 3 days, recommended dosage of Seachem Flourish twice a week.. 20-30% WC every week.

how can i get rid of the staghorn algae? they're growing within my Blyxa Japonica lawns and sometimes gets onto my Windelov ferns and Brazilian Pennywort..

i've tried trimming those algae infested leaves but they just keep coming back... introducing Malayan shrimps is a no-no because i've 3 angelfish in my tank.. Have witnessed the bigger one swallowing one neon tetra before so shrimps definitely stand no chance..

any ideas? thinking of bombing the tank with algaecide

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    What's the size and volume of your tank? What kind of filter are you running?
    Is the tank densely planted? Pictures may be a good lead to judge.

Angelfish, esp the size capable of eating neons are likely to be heavy waste maker. Good pollution control is needed and a must.
    Other than playing good balance between tank voume-plant metabolism rate-fish load, you may also need to do heavier water change, even adding in the help of active carbon in limited amount.

Don't do algaecide as it usually will hurt you plants. What you might want to consider better is spot treatment using excel. Use a syringe and squirt it right to the effected spots. Turn off water movement beforehand.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    What's the size and volume of your tank? What kind of filter are you running?
    Is the tank densely planted? Pictures may be a good lead to judge.

Angelfish, esp the size capable of eating neons are likely to be heavy waste maker. Good pollution control is needed and a must.
    Other than playing good balance between tank voume-plant metabolism rate-fish load, you may also need to do heavier water change, even adding in the help of active carbon in limited amount.

Don't do algaecide as it usually will hurt you plants. What you might want to consider better is spot treatment using excel. Use a syringe and squirt it right to the effected spots. Turn off water movement beforehand.
    hi medicineman, i apologise for the late reply and lack of pictures.

I would say my tank is quite well planted. if you divide my 2 x 1 x 1.5 tank into 2 halves, the front half has a medium dense lawn of matured blyxa japonicas, back half all mostly stem plants and ferns. I would say about 65-70% of the area is planted.

filtration is via a 700l/hr canister filter stocked full of ceramic rings with a layer of coarse and fine sponge to prime the water. substrate and medias are mature.

i did try spot treatment with excel, about 10-15ml in total using a syringe.. i think there's a little bit of improvement as i see my SAE cleaning the blyxas up after about 10 mins of excel with no water movement. before that the SAE will never go near them.

how long should i turn off water movement for? and what dosage do you recommend? i suspect the staghorn could be the result of inconsistent Co2 levels...