Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Keeping Badis badis and Dario dario together

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can I put both in the same tank? Its a 36" 50g tank, have 5 Dario Dario right now. I plan to put in 5 Badis badis. Its a lightly planted tank for now, I will put in more plants along the way.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    For me personally, I would keep a lookout as B. badis grow a lot larger than D. dario. Being larger, they can be rather territorial and may outcompete D. dario for food.

However, one thing that would work in your favour is the tank size. With the large tank and more plants, the availability of hiding places would be appreciated by both fishes, especially during territorial disputes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    badis are aggressive eaters and would easily out compete with a dario, even if the tank size was large, and dario will not easily take frozen bloodworms like badis will

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    I feed them brine shrimp flakes. They seem ok for now. They are with 10 I. Werneri, 8 1/2" GBR juvys and some shrimps.

What are more compatible tankmates for them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I would recommend to supplement with frozen or live food, they don't seem to do too well in the long run based on dry food alone.

Peaceful, smaller fish would probably be okay. Iriatherina werneri seems to be a good choice. But then again, in a community tank, you need to be mindful that they get food as they are really shy, slow eaters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    I'll supplement with frozen bloodworms at least twice a week. How about Badis Ruber and Badis Badis, are they slow eaters also? Can they be weaned into dry foods?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    your dario would be out-competed by your badis, badis gets afew times bigger than your darios!

unless you have a relatively large tank with many hiding places for your darios i dont recommend you mix them together

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by mojave View Post
    I'll supplement with frozen bloodworms at least twice a week. How about Badis Ruber and Badis Badis, are they slow eaters also? Can they be weaned into dry foods?
    Dario dario is the slowest. B. ruber or B. badis may be outcompeted by voracious fish like tiger barbs, zebra danios and so on, so comparatively they are slower eaters.

They can be weaned into dry food, but in my experience, they do not do well in the long run. And I have encountered that some may stop feeding totally at one time or another when fed with solely on dry food (mileage may vary).

For those interested in Badis and Dario, here is a short introductory article for reading pleasure.
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=626