Thread: Quarantine methods

Feedback Score

Quarantine methods

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Just like to find out how do you guys quarantine your new fish before intoducing them into the aquarium?
    Need to find out because I do not want a outbreak of virus in my tank in case there are expensive fishes already in it.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been doing Q'teen since I restarted my tank some months back... at least I've been doing it whenever I can... (couldn't Q'teen the discus I bought as my Q'teen tank is only 5G)

Basically though, for Q'teen you can either do it passively... meaning just put them aside and watch... or you can dose some active medications... The period for Q'teen typically needs to be at least 2 weeks to be meaningful, which is why lots of people dun do it.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Hi Allen,

What kind of medications do U recommend?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I wouldn't say that I actually recommend meds... i just use what I have in store... namely myzaxin, which is a broad spectrum bacteriacide and fungistat, and followed by sterazin which is a parasite killer. My routine is this... myxazin is used on day 1,2,3,4,5. After which I stop on day 6,7. This is the recommended dosage for this. On Day 7 I do a water change. After which I dose with sterazin on day 8,9,10,13,15 (again recommended by the med). If they pull through (so far none of my Q'teen fishes have died), then I put them in the main tank.

This is actually still one step short of a full Q'teen. All my procedure does is to try and ensure that new diseases are not introduce to my current aquarium. It does NOT ensure that your new fishes are safe as existing diseases are still free to infect your new fish.

A full Q'teen would require you to change your Q'teen tank water with some of your existing tank water, and also introduce 1-2 fishes from your current tank into the Q'teen tank... In such an instance I would not medicate, but just observe again for 2 weeks...

But like I said, I dun do everything... I presume my current tank is ok, and proceed to introduce the fishes.... Oh I forgot to add that throughout Q'teen, I also feed my fishes healthy amounts of food, and drop some vitamin drops... hehe talk about kiasu
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it will be good if u could run a UV during that period too, offtopic, what kinda expensive fishes you got in the tank currently?

Feedback Score
    Thanks again.

But where can I get both myzaxin and sterazin?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/2/2003 11:41:28 AM

it will be good if u could run a UV during that period too, offtopic, what kinda expensive fishes you got in the tank currently?
    ----------------

eeek no no... no UV during that period... especially if introducing medicines... UV lamps can break down the chemical components in some medicines causing them to be toxic. which is why lots of meds tell you to stop UV when medicating.

Also, do not put UV when doing the final stage of Q-teen where you introduce the water from your old tank... doing so defeats the purpose of introducing the old water since the UV will wipe out anything present in the water column...

As for the medicines, I believe I've seen them at both petmart as well as C328... take your pick.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    I intend to buy some super melon or the offsprings of the champion from Chai Discus after seeing them but got advice from friends that discus are super sensitive fishes and have to take great care when mixing with other fishes or may end up with the 'blackening' syndrome.
    From the plant tank forum discussion on Discus and Altums,I think Altums would be a better choice for a planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually both fish are suitable for planted tanks, but theres no doubt that discus are the more sensitive of the 2 fishes. The problem with large fishes like altums is that you need a bigger Q'teen tank.... otherwise the small size of the tank may itself stress the fishes, and allow disease to take hold.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi patliew

when buying your fish, there are certain practice that you may like to follow....

1. never buy fish that have just been brought into the LFS...give them about a week or so...during this time you may like to just pop by for two days to see if they are doing well....any syptoms would have been noticed during this period.

2. When buying fish, try to choose them yourself even though this means that you have to net the fish...always pick those that are the most active. troublesome yes, but it will be worth your time.

3. Just to add on to what allen has mentioned you could also use salt at 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water and keep them there for about 2 weeks.

4. Remember even with such precautions, it is still not full proof as certain dieases dont show their ugly face till about 21 to 40 days.......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...