Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Plants that can survive

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Plants that can survive pesky clown loach attacks. I've given in with the planted tank theme for my 3ft due to beligerent clown loach munching on the leaves. Even my anubias species get eaten

Just wondered if theres any low-mid tech plants that anyone would recommend trying. My lights are adequate (low-mid). I have basic CO2 running, and i dose ferts occasionally at this point in time. I don't want fancy growth and amazing lush green meadows. I just want plants to cover ugly gaps and give my tank a cohesive look. My tank is practically bare right now, with a few bits of wood with anubias on in the corners with crypts randomly growing in the middle to front. LOTS of space to fill

midlevel plants such are not an issue, i have crypts dotted around which never get a second look at. I was thinking perhaps a moss lawn for the front areas, and i need suggestions for larger background plants. I keep buying plants and trying them but most just get eaten. Lobelia cardinalis was my latest attempt, that was consumed right to the bottom of the stalk within a week!

SIGH - i love my loach, but they are literally eating my investments

If anyone knows any plants they aught not, or would 9 times out of 10 leave alone please tell me Getting desperate.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i guess the ideal plants would be hard leave plants?
    Nanas and java fern would be the best deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Yes you would think that, but as i said my loach munch on my Anubias Bateri var barteri and my Anubias barteri var nana. Even my Java Fern gets eaten. Both being tough leaved plants and both being eaten

I don't know what else to try, i fear they'll just eat anything i add. I want to try Echinodorus Uruguayensis, Red Flame, Ozelot and Rubin but fear they'll all die.

I couldnt bare to get rid of them though, they're comical to watch and really are very tame.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Clown loaches aren't really for planted tanks... maybe seperate them into another tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    There is a forum on the internet on Loaches. They're pretty much the experts on these fish. You might want to ask there. I've seen some pictures of their tanks (heavily planted) with clowns up to 12 inches long - mostly well behaved but once in a while they do tend to munch on some plant they fancy. A thing to note about clowns, if I'm not wrong, is that there is a 'psychology' of sorts to them - understanding their moods etc... you really should as at the loaches forum.

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    Yes you would think that, but as i said my loach munch on my Anubias Bateri var barteri and my Anubias barteri var nana. Even my Java Fern gets eaten. Both being tough leaved plants and both being eaten

I don't know what else to try, i fear they'll just eat anything i add. I want to try Echinodorus Uruguayensis, Red Flame, Ozelot and Rubin but fear they'll all die.

I couldnt bare to get rid of them though, they're comical to watch and really are very tame.