1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I.D Algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. I've had this algae infestation for quite sometime now, was wondering how to treat it? Input would be appreciated!!!

Im guessing its GSA (which is not an algae) But is it?

Tank Parameters:

4x2x2

54W x 2 (8hrs a day)

Filter: Tetra EX120

Fertilization: None

No CO2.

1 Power head: Dymax 150

Flora: Nanas, amazon sword, cobombas. (Approx 60% of the tank covered with plants)

Fuana: 8 Guppies, dozens of babies. 9 Gara. 5 Golden algae eaters. 1 molly and 2 snails.

Cheers!
    Last edited by freddiewee; 19th Nov 2008 at 21:28.
    Continuous effort- neither strength nor intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blue Green Algae aka Cyanobacteria

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes.. BGA.. best is to manually remove.. and restart the whole tank..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Freddie,

I did a blackout and after 2 days saw that it was drying up. It is gone after 4 days.
    However, mine was not as serious as your outbreak. It sure looks like it's taking over the floor of the tank.
    Warning: All posts are based on personal experience with no creditable validation whatsoever...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blue Green Algae.

Result of poor circulation in your aquarium and dead spots. It can potentially take over your whole tank if not treated.
    Mizu World - Understanding your Aquatic Needs
    Web: http://www.mizuworld.com Email: [email protected] Contact: +6597857957 (Ben)

Distributor of

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the input all... is there any other way of getting rid of it without tearing the whole tank down?

i guess i'll buy more powerheads.

i heard that they break out because there isnt enough nutrients in the water. I overdosed on Seachem Nitrogen and Potassium after doing some research and it seems to have shrunk in size, but it's hard to confirm because i only did it yesterday.

I've heard about using antibotics (Erythromycin) to treat it but i dont want to kill the BB.

Just to confirm, it shouldn't be the lighting problem is it? Because my other 4fter doesnt have this problem even with way more lights, like 3.4wpg. While this tank only has 2.4wpg?

Cheers!
    Continuous effort- neither strength nor intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought my BGA issues was bad.....

Freddie, you can google my writeup on managing BGA on AQ.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, that is a bad case of BGA. How "old" is your tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Z_Z,

it is approx 2 months now. i have bad news to report 1 golden algae eater and a male guppy died maybe due to NO3 and KNO3 overdose. But some have been vanishing after i did that. I hope by installing more powerheads and a regular fert regime (Ferka Aquashade) i would be able to stabalize the situation and then remove manually.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Remove as much as you can. I suggest u do a 3-5 days blackout of your tank to try and permanently kill the BGA . The other plants will be able to hold up. Your tank may experience spikes in ammonia (I think) due to the large amt of BGA dying so u may wanna remove the fishes. Make sure you cover up the entire tank and your filter as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi all, just an update, i removed most of the BGA manually and did a water change, added a power head (maybe going to get 1 more) currently there's two inside. And added a fert regieme of FERKA aquashade. And i must say there is a huge reduction in BGA now. Moreover i added 4 corys to stir up the substrate so as not to allow BGA to take hold.

Cheers,
    Freddie

Happy Halloween!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    overdosed on Flourish Potassium and it worked! 1/4 bottle!