Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Otocinclus laying eggs!?

Feedback Score

Otocinclus laying eggs!?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys, just discovered this morning, one of my Otos has a big tummy, and hanging close to the surface. Initially thought it was some kind of disease, but on closer inspection realised that it was trying to lay eggs [:0]

The eggs are sort of off white translucent in colour.

I noticed some of cardinals trying to eat the eggs, so caught the Oto in a fine mesh net and it's currently in the net near the surface, I hope this is OK.

What should I do next?!

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    errr. dunno leh, first time I'm hearing about Oto spawning... my advice is to take some of your tank water and move the oto out on its own... otherwise I doubt anything that spawns will survive... you might also try and get some liquidfry or something similar to prepare for the spawn
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok heres something I pinched from the net

Breeding: Egg Scatterer. Spawning usually takes place in the maintenance tank, but can be placed in a breeding tank and transfered back to the maintenance tank after spawning. Water temperature should be between 75-78.8F. (24-26C.) and the other conditions the same as above. The female will swim around actively while the male persuses her and then mates. The male prostrates himself in front of the female, and she tightly adheres herself to his pelvic fin and sticks three to six eggs usually to the underside of a leaf. Similar to the Corydoras, they attach their eggs to rocks and leaves; and can also spawn on the aquarium glass. The Otocinclus species does not tend their brood. If the spawn takes place in the maitenance tank, cut off the leaves with the spawn and transfer them to a rearing tank. If the spawn is on a rock or in a cave, transfer with the rock or cave if possible.
    The rearing tank should have about 2 inches (5cm) of water and a fine airstone. Mix the water with methylene blue so that the eggs can still be seen. Twice a day exchange about 80% of the water with that of the same mixture of methylene blue. As soon as the young begin to emerge, or several hours prior to, suck up the spawn carefully with a pipe or thin rubber tube until the young break out of the eggshells. The same thing can be accomplished by gently brushing the eggs with a brush.
    Raising the fry is difficult due to the small size of their mouths. The spawn, which can include more than 60 eggs, emerges in two or three days and should be fed as soon as the yolk sac is consumed. If the fry are in an uninhabited tank, they can be fed thawed frozen rotifers, which they will eat off the glass. Otherwise, dry food and soaked crushed lettuce. Also provide algae covered stones and roots.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eggz, it's rare to get otos to spawn in the home aquarium. your conditions must be really good. i'd advise u to ask the pleco experts on how they raise their pleco fry. cos i think the method to raise oto fry is the same as how they raise pleco fry, especially those whiptail cats.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    rotifers ?
    Thanks & Regards,
    Trevor

Feedback Score
    er...Allen, from your post, it seems like I'll need to find the male to fertilize the eggs? Man! that's gonna be difficult....I don't even know which Oto is the other half of the mating pair.

Oh well....so much for baby Otos then.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eggz, the male oto should be slightly thinner than the female. slimmer at the pelvic region and smaller in size in comparison to the female.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.