Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

NutraFin DIY Co2 system

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I thought I'll provide an insight into this.

if you're doing diy co2, this is one system that you should get.

its more for the equipment. the co2 bottle for yeast/sugar is sturdy, and it comes with a nice flipper (for its price).

ard $30+...

most people have problems with the Co2 reactor since a diffusor has backpressure from the weight of the water and has a critical pressure build up before anything comes out of it. and a reactor is usually too big for such setups. bell diffusors aren't highly efficient. so flippers are just nice (except that denerlle flippers are in the $90 region...)

last seen at c328 but I'm sure good lfs have them as well

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    chris, saw this Nutrafin Natural Plant System as c328 yesterday too. i've never used co2 but would like to try.

question: will such a system be good enough? that is, will i need to buy any other parts, etc, to get co2 running in my tank?

ta!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this DIY system would be good for a smaller tank but eventually the sachets with the yeast mix and stuff will run out. u can still use the system provided u get the required ingredients to start up the system again once the supplied stuff is used up. u could however use the flipper with a CO2 cylinder system. saves money on getting the Dennerle flipper just a thought.[:]
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    saw petmart selling this set at $25. after using the commercial mixture, we can always diy the co2 mixture with sugar, yeast and baking soda isn't it?

Cheers
    Boon Yong
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    don't think there will be a problem of using sugar, yeast and baking soda.
    treat the 25 bucks as cost of flipper.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    guess a mod will remove the price info..

meanwhile.

yes, diy co2 formulation can be found in lots of places. I've been reading aquabotanic. they also use JELLO (ie: jelly mix instead of plain old sugar) apparently lasts longer..

standard diy mix is
    baking yeast
    a pinch of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    sugar (as per the original volume of "sugar" that came with the system)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was using Dennerle bottle and flipper co2 system before, when use up the mixture, can buy a new bottle, but I feel is quite expensive, so I use the bottle to diy the co2, then it is too trouble to do the diy every 2 to 3 weeks. so get a cycliner type now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    c.y.

I know what you mean..... I too started DIY CO2. Found it too troublesome, ended up with a cylinder set. Good experince though.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    got one set for myself. more for the flipper than the complete system. the set has everything that you'll need for co2 injection except for a check valve.

the flipper need about 2 day to 'warm up'. initially the co2 bubble will not travel all the way up but will be stuck at the co2 outlet. as time goes, the co2 bubble will travel more along the flipper and about 2 days to reach the top.

the flipper is not enclosed so the co2 is always in contact with aquarium water, not just the water in the flipper.

but the refill(sugar, yeast and bicarbonate of soda?) cost ard 7 buck a pop.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Read from somewhere, to use the flipper, the flipper must be placed properly or the bubbles will be not going up and creating a air chamber in the flipper. Is it true? Because mine is a 2 feet tank and my hands is always very itchy to "adjust" the layout in the tank; Afraid that may tilted the flipper at times....

Now I using DIY co2, what is the clyinder type which you guys talking about? Any picture or lfs???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what's the dimension of the flipper?
    can someone post a picture of it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    don't know which flipper you are talking about, but all flippers seem to need a 2 day burn in period for bacteria to grow on it so as to make it slimy thus the co2 bubbles won't stick/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys...
    I found this through Yahoo search and it MIGHT just be the one you guys are refering to

and found another link... good for newbies who not sure why planting need CO2 too...

[url=http://www.hagen.com/img/aquatic/addinfo/co2/co2-icon3.gif[/url]
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Goondoo,

what is the total cost? where can it be bought?

How long does a cylinder lasts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the price and the lfs that carry the product has already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

the nutrafin co2 is produced by fermentation so the interval to change the sugar/yeast is between 2wks to 1mth.
    the cylinder Sherchoo and C.Y mentioned refer to pressurised co2 tanks. these can last months, depending on co2 bubble rate.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Petmart has them.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    jello is an interesting idea
    just take note of two points
    1. you'll get a very consistent flow of co2 as the source of sugar is self regulating
    2. if the jello doesn't fully catabolise, you'll get jello at the bottom which could prove a irritating to clean out

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi folks,

How does the flipper performs versus the UP brand diffuser with the bioballs inside ? I had always tot for DIY CO2, it is always good to contain the CO2 rather than let it bubble away as the rate is pretty slow. I'm using DIY CO2 with the UP brand diffuser though strangely my plants don't seem to bubble as much as when I used to fabricate a bell from the cut end of a small fruit juice bottle ! Only reason why I ditch the bell diffuser is the look and also CO2 will fill up and escape the 1st week of a new yeast-sugar mixture.

Anyone know how long the Nutrafin mixture will last ? $7 per pop and assume it lasts 1 mth is almost as expensive as the compressed CO2.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Hi ppl,
    just wondering about how efficient this product is. Any of you guys using it in a 2ft or 1.5 ft tank? do your plants bubble and does it lower your pH,if it does,what is your current pH after using this product?
    thanx...cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've used this for about 1 and 1/2 months now...

And so far, the results were so-so... The first month's bubble rate was pretty slow at about 1 bubble per 4 sec or so... Thus when it expired one month later, I added a bit more sugar and yeast to the standard packets. This increased the bubble rate to a steady 1 bubble per second and managed to sustain this output for more than 1 and 1/2 weeks...

The output drop was partially due to my meddling with the system and trying to add a bubble counter to prevent the build-up of the cotton wool like thingy at the bottom of the flipper. And apparently, it doesn not have a strong enough pressure to drive the CO2 thru the bubble counter, so it was removed.

Btw, I'm using it in a 2 foot tank, and have not checked the pH levels of it before and after the system. Also try to leave the flipper in the tank for about 1 or 2 days before you start running it as it requires some bacteria to build-up on the flippers before the CO2 flows smoothly...

I'll mix my own batch when this one expires.... I guess the proportions mentioned above would be just nice... Mebbe I might give it more sugar to allow it to last longer and also a bit more yeast for it to increase the bubble rate.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast