Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malayan Shrimp - the equivalent of Amano's yamatos?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Malayan Shrimp - the equivalent of Amano's yamatos?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    An interesting thought that crossed my mine some time back, and re-triggered by Markyen's "How to kill this algae" thread.

Perhaps, we have underated the humble little malayan shrimp against the popular and well known yamato shrimp? I've no personal experience yet, but I will probably let them have a go at my 1m planted tank soon.

What are other ppl's experience?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, from observing my own malayans and tigers, i'd say they do a pretty good job at clearing up the tank. i never tried yamatos cos they're not that appealing to me but as far as i'm concerned i think the malayans are just as good as the yamatos.. provided they have nothing else in the tank to eat except algae
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    My Malayan shrimps are always seen munching something on my aquatic plants. I'm quite sure they are eating algae but exactly what type of algae I'm not sure. Also, whether they target the same algae as the yamato shrimps, I'm not sure either.

Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Thanks,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my malayans never eat the visible algae(green spot, bba) but instead munch on things atop the plants which is not visible to my naked eye? why??????

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not many algae eaters eat BBA... supposedly, only Yamatos and SAEs.

Green spot... well, it's not exactly easy plucking (pun fully intended) for the teeny weeny shrimpy claws. Plus shrimp seldom expend the effor to hang on glass walls to get at them.

Algaes grow from microscopic spores, which is not visible to the naked eye. Neither is really, really new growth. Ever actually see what the otos are scraping off the plants, etc? Algae eaters often whack the algae before we can see them, provided it's what they eat, and it's growing slower then they are being consumed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Talk abt this two shrimp I got a question too since Vinz mention it. (Sorry for the interuption)

If U can choose between 200 malayan or 24 Yamato for a 2ft heavily planted tank at the same cost.

I hear ppl suggest 100 malayan for 1 sq ft (dunno true or not)

Which one do u think will last longer in terms of 1 year & which one will clear algae more?

[:]
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Problem with Malayan Shrimp is that the just seem to dissapear once they are in your tank. I wondering my 100 shrimps a re still alive or eaten up by my Altums. Yamatos on the other hand are showing sign that they are still around. That the difference between this 2 shrimps to me.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherwin , agree with you on that point.. i have about 100 or so malayan shrimps and i could only see 1 or 2 at a time but i only have 10 or so yamatos and i can easily see 6 of them most of the time.

Much more visible for the yamato. For malayans , i dunt think anyone can safely say how much they have left (minus deaths , getting eaten alive)if the tanks are planted...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    TTL,

I did mention Sam's Pet and Aquariums' Joey Chua's "100 shrimp per foot run" guideline sometime back. It's per foot run not per sq ft. Meaning if you have a 6x2x2 cubic foot tank, you get 600 malayan shrimp, not 1200.

Problem with Yamatos seem to be that when there isn't enough algae they start going after tender plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi everyone,

Just to share as I have five shrimp types in my tank yamato, tiger, taiwan, cherry and plant/rock(the big one).

Cherry seems to me to be the one to be clearing the algae all the time. The rest will pick up scrap food but the cherry doesn't. The plant shrimp is the one eating all the micro-organisms in the tank with their fan pincers.

Yamato, tiger and taiwan also eat algae when there is no scrap food. Anyway they are rather bossy in the tank.

Just sharing

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Both my Malayan & Yamatos are celebrating the New Year by eating my Tonina fluviatilis few days back. But the rest of the plants is left untouch. now My Tonina like a eaten corn.
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

I have decent experience with Malayan shrimps as algae eaters. However, one problem I have is that they die on a regular basis. Now, whether that is due to my water chemistry or predatory cardinals (or otos for that matter! hehe) or that the shrimps themselves have a short lifespan, is still a big question for me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Heres my 2 cents on the malayan vs yamato shrimp

malayan shrimp are less hardy, more colorful, less active, less visible, less costly.

Yamatos are more hardy, not colorful, very active, seldom hide, and cost much more.

In genereal Yamatos are better at clearing algae, and is my preference. Though in terms of beauty I would go with malayan since they can be more colorful... but truth to tell, my main gripe with malayan shrimps is that they die so easily.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    personal experience with malayans is that they do clear up the algae on my plants after I add 100 shrimps to my 2 ft tank. However, mortality rate is almost to 40%-50%. I suspect it is due to their weak body after hatching fries cos most of them I got got eggs on them. After all the fries and eggs are gone, they seem to stable down and I seldom see a dead shrimp after 2 weeks. Used to have tiger and bumble bees but they are too weak to survive in my tank. Yamatos are quite ex compared to malayans and more greedy in eating algae and plants. Just my 2cts worth of comments.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/5/2003 1:43:52 AM

Yamatos are quite ex compared to malayans and more greedy in eating algae and plants. Just my 2cts worth of comments.
    ----------------
    Fish food too.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/4/2003 5:06:15 PM

I have decent experience with Malayan shrimps as algae eaters. However, one problem I have is that they die on a regular basis. Now, whether that is due to my water chemistry or predatory cardinals (or otos for that matter! hehe) or that the shrimps themselves have a short lifespan, is still a big question for me.
    ----------------
    Otos? Predatory? You got some mutant strain of otos in you tank? I have a hard time imagining a predatory oto.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/5/2003 2:16:52 AM
    Otos? Predatory? You got some mutant strain of otos in you tank? I have a hard time imagining a predatory oto.
    ----------------
    Hehe... you obviously haven't been looking at your tank on a full moon... thats when their fangs come out...
    Allen

Hehe... Seriously speaking, I really doubt that my shrimp mortality is due to otos! Maybe it is all those horrible snails!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there,

Heard about the malayan as the worst of the algae eaters and yamatos being the king of algae eaters.

Well whether thats true depends on people who had both... I never had malayans on yamatos.

Just to comment again that once yamatos grow in size they become very bossy and agressive.

Anyway seems to me that almost all type of shrimps are scavengers.

Just sharing

Feedback Score
    i love yamato! they are constantly munching on frankly i dun know wat. but i assume it alga and yes! to prove that.......they **** alot! the best part is i dun see them going after fish food. and due to their large size, they are not fish food.

oto: i saw them clean a small portion of thoes green alga on the glass. and i can really see a lot of different. with naked eye! thu they may seem lazy, they really work when suppose to work.

ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast