Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What do I do with pregnant guppies?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What do I do with pregnant guppies?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my current 1.5ft planted tank houses a variety of fishes, mainly tetra, rasbora, minnow, endlers and recently a new pair of guppies. i realise the female is actually pregnant and the male is constantly hassling and "chasing" the female. do i need to remove it to a separate tank or can i just leave it as it is. will the male stress the female and may not want to give birth?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    when time to drop, it will drop.

the Question is !! do you want to keep the fries ?

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Even if you remove the female to another tank for birthing, note that the female will also eat the fries. I have seen the fry pop out and the mother turning around and gulping the fry.

You can buy these boxes with slits. The idea is the fries will fall/swim through the slits to a chamber below while the mother is contained in the chamber above and cannot get to the fries. Problem is the fries tend to be pretty helpless at the time of birth and not all make it to the lower chamber. I have seen on the internet the types with a V rather than the slits but I don't know if those are available in Singapore or are effective.

Another alternative is to have lots of plants for the fries to hide. I find frogbits very useful. Long roots and lots of overlapping leaves for fries to hide.

Gestation according to stuff I have read is 28 days but can vary between 20 to 40 (!!) days. Lots of info on the net; google "breeding guppies" or similar words. The mother is ready to drop when it looks really boxy; i.e. the black spot from the back looks really big and "boxy".

There are lots of forumers specializing in guppies and keeping pure-breds and expensive breeds. They can provide better advice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

While the breeding box seems to be an innovative idea for pregnant female, it's not practical because of the stress it creates for the female. If you want to be sure that all the fry survive, simply remove the female into a tank/container by itself and let it drop. Use the water from the original tank itself and just wait patiently.

Shi Xuan
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually you can just put the female fish into a tank that is well planted and let nature take its course.. the fries are able to hid in the planted tank..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    in a planted tank, the female will choose a good spot to hide when it drops. if you wish to ensure 100% survival of the fries then perhaps you would like to have a breeder net or breeder box.

for now, observe the female guppy, if the female is big and the stomach area is kind of squarish, she is dropping soon. if your tank is not densely planted, you may wish to remove the female guppy to another tank for it to give birth. For me, i seldom have the case of female fish eating up its fries as my female fish is always full and i put moss in the dropping tank so as to calm down the female fish. less stress means less tendency of dropping weak fries and less tendency to eat up it's fries. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yupz.. i agree.. less stress then can produce better fries..