Country
    Singapore

JBL base fertilizer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Is JBL base fertilizer is a completed fertilizer? I'm only using this base fert for only a month and no other types of fert.My plants are not doing well,some of them are melting away.Is my tank still lacking something?

Another question,can I use a overflow system for planted tank.

Spec of my tank:
    1) 5x2x2 ( with overflow system. )
    2) 144 watt ( the plant have no problem bubbling so I guess lighting is still oki. )
    3) 3 bag of JBL fert( spead on planted area. )
    4) 6bps of co2 rate
    5) KH5
    6) PH ( did not measure. )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there,

New here but I think that over flow system is not advisable for planted tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Plant talk..you need to ID your plants roughly for ppl here to help you...Temperature of your tank water? You should know that some plants cannot survive at temperatures higher than 28 degrees no matter how you try. The amount of CO2 you are injecting seems to be alot but adequate as your plants are bubbling (unless your plants are using your carbonates instead...MMmmmm..). Try not to use your overflow system (never use one and not sure whether you can don't use it though..LOL)..the splashing caused would cause loss of CO2. Regarding your lights, it depends on what type of plants you are growing...if its high light types..it would be insufficient. You need at least 3W/Gallon for high light plants.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    YOur tank is about 140 gallons in capacity. With 144W, there's only less than 1 W per gallon. Most high light plants will soon melt unless they get at least 2.5-3W per gallon. Bubbling IMO is no sign of plant health. Go to the LFS and find lighting units with enough total wattage for your tank. Ditch the tank cover/hood, if any.

Your base fert should be no problem (JBL is fairly complete), although 3 bags seems a little for a 5 footer. BUt that can be solved easily later on. Get rid of the overflow system and use a canister filter (those Eheim or Atman kind) instead.

With the amount of lighting you need, the tank is likely to get pretty hot, so some fans will be necessary to keep the temp below 28C. Some LFS sell easy-to-install DC units (2-4 fans per unit).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There should not be any major problem with the overflow system. My current 4ft is with an overflow system (I am stuck with one, no choice), I have no problem with my plant tank except for some CO2 loss.

Your lights is insufficent, try to add more lights.

When you say 'no other types of fert' used, do you mean that you never use any liquid fert?
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Would be a good idea to tell us what plants that is not doing well. There are some plants that do melt initially but after a while they will have new growth due to the difference in conditions.

3 bags of JBL fert would give you about 1.67cm of fert in height which I think is quite little but shouldn't be the source of your problem.

Lights are as important as CO2 as they are the bsaci elements in phtosithesis. Try upgrading your lights.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/6/2003 9:42:28 AM

3 bags of JBL fert would give you about 1.67cm of fert in height which I think is quite little but shouldn't be the source of your problem.

----------------
    If you had added an even thicker gravel layer on top, the plants may not have such deep roots to reach the fertiliser below.
    Same -- I suggest increasing lighting and beginning some liquid fertilisation.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,

My Echinodorus bleheri has got brown spot but 1 thing is really strange,it remain in it present state,not melting farther nor recovering.

My Echinodorus'Oriental',big onion(which Teo call it) and Lobelia Cardinlis are doing well.

There are some other plants in my tank which I do not know their name.Oh yeah,another fast growing plant which petmart sell them for $5 each is melting too but it remain in its current state for sometime too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

If the light is not sufficient,the plant should not be able to give out bubble.But my plant is bubbling wildly now and then.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    is your tank situated next or near a window?
    do you get direct sunlight onto your tank?

your lighthing is definitely not enough.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi plant talk

your plants are bubbling now and then is because the leaves may be damaged either when you are doing mantnence or one of your fish may have taken a nip on it....i would think that the leaves bubbling are somewhat near the light?

whatever the case, you wattage is too low and perhaps that is why your E. Blerheri is not growing....it may not be melting or melting further due to your KH point at 5.....it may be best to try increasing your light wattage....as for your E. Blerheri, pull it out, and check if the roots have gone translucent brown with very thin new root grow....trim and replant
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My red tiger is growing very well,I wonder izzt a high light or low light plant?

Its really hard to get a 5 feet casing to upgrade my light,not that I dun wan its bo pian.

Feedback Score
    GUys! in other word JBL BAse fertilizer is reasonably capable.How Long will it last.
    Got some questions!How often do u need to clean your plant filled 3 feet tank.

Do you need heater for the aquarium?
    IF need which one is preferred