Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question on the timing for on lights for tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    A question frm my observation is that I notice plants START open up their leaves starting 7am and CLOSE at 7pm. Which is 12 hrs.

Becos of this, I on my lights & CO2 frm 7.30am till 7.30pm, I do this is becos I think the plants need 30min for freshing up like we do in the morning, need time to really be awake when we get up in the morning.

My funny theory is that when I on the lights & CO2 at 7.30am when they start to wake up, they can absorb the CO2 and not let algae had a chance. My previous experience is that I on & off the light late and alot of green & Spot algae on the glass, but now is much lesser.

Anyone can comment on this abt timing?
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well
    my plants adjusted to my lighting period
    they stay open way past 7pm
    i can't speak for the others tho

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My lighting timing is set tothe time I'm usually at home e.i. 5pm to to 1am. No point having a tank if you can't view it.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I dunno about others....but I noticed that my plants does not adjust to my lights timming.....

My lights are set from 10am to 10pm, my plants open at around 8++ am and closed at about 8pm. At the end, I adjust my lights to accommodate my plants...
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some stemmed plants have a so-called timing of their own, usually by 8pm, the leaves will all close up for the day...u shld observe and adjust yr settings if neccessary. 12hrs IMO is too long

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    12 hrs too long?

how abt 6 hrs on and off 4 hrs then on again 6 hrs?

or what is the best timing? 8,9 or 10 hrs?
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also experience my some of my plants opening their leaves at about 8am and closes roughly 8pm. I had my light timing from 11am to 11pm. My stem plants grow quite leggy.

I suspect that when the plants "wake up" at 8am and find that the light is not sufficient until my lights turn on at 11am, they start stretching for the lights (sunlight through my windows).

Now, I changed the lighting timing to 8am to 6pm. The plants now looked much better. At night when I come home, the lights turn on from 9pm to 11pm for me to feed the fishes and admire my tank.

Just my experience.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bclee,

ur timing is just rite for working people, for me I only had 2 hrs which is 6 to 8pm to monitor my tank after work. Kind of rush & funny...

Talk abt light, think my light is too strong. my H-deformmis had bend stem when at first a uprite stem.

[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi TTL

just out of curiousity, is your tank near a window? because as Jacian and Simon has pointed out, some stemmed plants tend to follow their biological clock as they can sense the weakest source of light. This happens to my stemmed plants as well as my 4ft tank is near my balcony.

and just for the heck of it, i decided to do a little experiment. What i did was to close all my curtains at night, dont open it till i get home in the evening. after about 3 to 4 weeks, the plant sort of change its timing...instant of 8am to about 8am to 9pm, it got to about 12 noon to about 11in the night.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, change plants behaviour, lesson learn today.

My tank is at the middle of my hall, no lights at all except abit of sunset ray but, the stem is not bending toward tat direction, its bending forwards then upwards when my PL is just directly below its. Maybe too glaring and it take a bend to avoid the direct light?

I will try to adjust the timing frm 10 to 10 pm then, maybe the plants kampong got light early at 7am..[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope... under bright light, H. difformis and H. polysperma grow sideways, to spread. They grow upwards when there is less light to get more light.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.