Country
    Singapore

Java fern

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys

Keep them in my tank for awhile already. Seeing alot of plantlets but the fern itself is not gettin any bigger. If they are, it must be damn slow till i cant see the diff.

Currently the my tank is abt 28 degrees. Is it true that i must lower the temp to have lush growth for the fern?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are they already attached to the wood/rock? If so, I heard (from Timebomb) you can prune the older leaves to stimulate new growth. The plantlets can be placed on the wood too. 28 C is probably ok. Mine has stared to grow new leaves at 27 C after about 2 months. They feed from the water so I also put in 30 mg/l of KSO4 per week and Dr Mallick's LushGrow Aqua.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Budak

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes tie them to wood and rocks. So how to trim them?? Make them botak??

Haha... just kidding!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    java fern grows slowly.
    to trim, just cut off part of the leaves.
    then plantlets will appear near the cut.
    a lot of roots will be put out as well as new leaves.
    but it will take some time.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thought the initial point brought up was that Java Fern has lots of plantlets but no significant growth.

I have the same problem with my Java Ferns. I started with a plant with 5 leaves of about 3 inches in length. Tied it to a drift-wood. Plant about 25cm away from lights. End of leaves melted away so I cut them off.

Now I have more than 30 leaves. All about 2 inches in length. Don't seemed to grow longer. What I noticed is that the more I cut away melted-end-leaves, the more new leaves appear.

How to make Java Ferns growth big and tall instead of keep having more and more new leaves?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have never seen java fern leaves melting. Are you sure those aren't new leaves? Becos new leaf growth in java ferns features somewhat translucent tips, which will turn solid green when they are larger.

Try cutting off older leaves at the part where they join the stem attached to the wood. This may stimulate the new growth you want.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have the same problem. Alot of baby Java Fern growing.

I think it's something wrong with the water.

Can it be due to not enough liquid fertilizer?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/6/2003 1:34:56 PM

I have never seen java fern leaves melting. Are you sure those aren't new leaves? Becos new leaf growth in java ferns features somewhat translucent tips, which will turn solid green when they are larger.

----------------
    Alright, Marcus, you da' man. I just noticed the translucent tips recently, and was wondering them... thanks!
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Re. the leaves melting, I am quite sure this is the case. I am refering to the tip of the leaves. It started from the time when the leave is a baby. The color/tone of green at the tip is different.

When left untouched, you will noticed the obviously melted-tip when the leaves become bigger. Someone was telling me that it is due to too-strong a lighting system. I reduced the lights and it seemed to work ok.

How about the excessive plantlets and the old leaves not growing? Is it possible it is due to fertiliser like what was suggested?

I once thought of another theory, that Java Ferns that are tied to driftwood will have their growth stagnated because there should be less nutrients in the water column as compared to the substrate. So if this is correct, I must get a big Java Ferns to start with.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicky,

I think it's normal. My own plants have the light transluscent tip in their new leaves, which remains until the leaf reaches its maximum size. Leave them alone and see what happens.

Like what was mentioned, try cutting off older leeaves to stimulate new growth. Also, Java ferns will not grow well in the substrate as they are epiphytic plants. They like good water circulation around their roots, which probably helps in their nutrient absorption.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, forgot to mention. Beside lots of baby plantlets, the leave are also transluscent at the tips.

What i did was i take the babies and throw the rest away.

Now they seem to grow better and faster. Do not why. Anybody got suggession?