Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Thin layer of white stuff on my drift wood- fungus?

Thin layer of white stuff on my drift wood- fungus?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    View white stuff here

What is this and how to get rid of it? Pls help thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry, cant really see the pics... but I guess its due to the fact that the driftwood isnt treated properly or not at all, u can remove it and soak in hot water to remove inpurities..

The white stuff is very thin, it floats on top of my x-moss, i can bring them out by just fanning using my hand in the water. But it kept coming back. I've added SAE and malayan shrimps to help clear these but seems no improvement at all. And yes its a new drift wood I bought, it was wrapped in plastic but can't remember the brand of the drift wood. Will guppy eat these? So far the otos, SAE and shrimps are ok.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Howling, is your tank new too? I had some white stuff develping on my Sera CO2 indicator when I first started my tank. I think it's due to bacteria bloom. Mine disappeared after a week. But I don't know if we are talking about the same white stuff - Mine appeared like a wispy white film.

I've edited the picture link in my post above, anyway here the picture again

white stuff

yes its a new tank I've setup last week

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it DIY CO2 your are using howling?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

YES me using DIY CO2....is that the cause?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you put too much yeast into the solution, the water in your tank can turn cloudy. But it's very unlikely what's growing on your driftwood came from the DIY CO2 bottle. I find your picture very interesting. It's the first time I've seen something like this. The white stuff is so thick it looks like swirling fog.

Initially, I thought it could be bloodworm cocoons. Bloodworms, if uneaten, will spin a web around themselves and pupate into mosquito-like insects. The cocoons are white in colour. However, it can't be Bloodworm cocoons as they can't possibly be so many.

My guess is it's some kind of fungus. It would be a good idea to take the driftwood out from your tank and bleach it.

Loh K L